Problem with tap2dsk

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

Chema
Game master

Problem with tap2dsk

Post by Chema »

Hi all. When adding the 8th mission to 1337 I strumble upon another issue with OSDK. This time with tap2dsk.

The thing is that the data file (which is accessed on a sector basis with all the data to load in overlay as well as mission code) was corrupt in the last mission.

A closer look revealed a bunch of 0s in between the text strings. I examined the process of creating the dsk file up to tap2dsk. I downloaded the sources for this tool and tried to have a look.

The first thing I noticed is that it needs a sedoric3.h file, which is not included, so I had to guess its content (an byte dump of the os, I pressume).

Then I changed all the int defitions to long, as I supposed the problem was there, with no good result.

In the end, the problematic code was here:

Code: Select all

while (sectors--) {
		find_free_sector(buf);
		buf+=sizeof(sector);
		descriptor[desc_off++]=track;
		descriptor[desc_off++]=sect;
		if (desc_off==0x100) {			// Sedoric bug work-around : allocate a second descriptor when the first is full, even if not needed
			find_free_sector(descriptor);
			descriptor[0]=track;
			descriptor[1]=sect;
			update_sector(desc_track,desc_sect,descriptor);
			memset(descriptor,0,sizeof(sector));
			desc_track=track;
			desc_sect=sect;
			desc_off=2;
			}
	}
	update_sector(desc_track,desc_sect,descriptor);
Okay, so it seems that for Sedoric, there is a bug needing a free sector filled with zeros, each time we fill up one descriptor, but that is not the case for data files accessed sector by sector.

No idea why, or what this means, as my knowledge about Sedoric is very limited (nearly inexistant).

I am not sure how to deal with this, without heavy modification of the program (and adding options in the command line to avoid or include this trick on a file basis), so I just added a flag, so it avoids the trick in my case for the data file.

It works, but also means that my tap2dsk is specific for building 1337 :(

Not sure how to proceed: maybe Dbug should add this for the next release, if necessary, or maybe contact Fabrice so he fixes it... maybe with more knowledge I could try to fix it... don't know.

Just thought it would be a good idea to have this written down somewhere.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Hum, I wonder if instead of allocating the new descriptor with "find_free_sector" it was trying to allocate it at the end of the disk, perhaps this would work.

Or perhaps the tool could be modified to count first the number of descriptors it will need, and make sure they are allocated at the beginning of the disk layout?

I believe Fabrice or Symoon are the persons who know the most about that.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

You are right Dbug.

Anyway I realize that this is not a fault in tap2dsk, but in the way I read data files sector by sector.

Strange there is a known bug in sedoric3 which has not been fixed, anyway.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Fabrice is the one to ask! I'm no expert of this part of Sedoric. I took a look at Sedoric à Nu and didn't see any mention of a bug in this part of the code. Maybe Fabrice is referring to a bug in another part of Sedoric, affected by this, or maybe he saw something André didn't see when writing Sedoric à Nu.

BTW Chema, your file must be quite big! :)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Symoon wrote: BTW Chema, your file must be quite big! :)
Yep. The file with data that is to go in overlay+savegame slots+mission code is currently 31794 bytes :)

Anyway I will think about contacting Fabrice and clarify this point.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

If you have a question about how to read the sectors, maybe I can help with Sedoric à Nu, but sure if you need an explanation about the "bug comments" in the program, this is for Fabrice ;-)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I am looking at tap2dsk right now, and wondering if you guys have sedoric3.h laying around anywhere .. ?
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Forgive my poor knowledge in C but I don't see any include of a sedoric.h file in the source code ? (tap2dsk.c, 6308 bytes)

EDIT: ok I was looking at an old version, the V1 probably since the latest is labelled V2.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

There is an #include "sedoric3.h" indeed inside a byte array definition. I didn't have it either, so I had to figure it out...

It seems it is a bytedump of the os, so I stripped it from the executable or a sedoric disk (or checked both, I don't remember), run bin2txt and created it by hand.

It works, it seems, but I am not sure if it is buggy...

I can send it to you by email, if you wish. Anyway it would be better to grab the original, which I could not find in any of the sources.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

If you could send it to me, that would be very useful - I don't really want to get into a lot of hacking of tap2dsk right now, I just want to use it under Linux to convert some TAPs to DSK files for use in PandOricutron ..

Maybe you could just PM it to me, or send it to me by email - my email address is my Defence Force ID + gmail . com ..
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Problem with tap2dsk

Post by Hialmar »

Sorry to bring up this very old thread but I'm trying to modify tap2dsk and had the problem with the sedoric3.h file.

I searched and found this message.

I also found Fabrice's sourceforge project including tap2dsk here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/euphori ... ic%20tool/

Why are we not using his last version of the tool ?

Is the modification Chema talked about included in our version of tap2dsk ?
Should I include it in my new version ?

What I am modifying is the following:
- to avoid the nonameXXX.com in the dsk image I'm taking the name of the .tap file instead ;
- then I will make two options to give a paper and ink color to the title.
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Hialmar wrote:Why are we not using his last version of the tool ?
The version in the OSDK is the one that was released from Fabrice's old site, since I don't use it I never updated it.
That's as simple as that.

Now, there are two possibilities:
- I stop using the version I have on SVN and get the version from SourceForge
- We update the SVN version with the updates from SourceForge

As the OSDK packager, the first version is more work for me, on the other hand it means that SourceForge is the main version.

(And a third possibility: I give Fabrice and you access to the SVN on Defence-Force and we keep all the files there.)
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

I will talk with Fabrice about this and tell you what he thinks is best.

Thanks.
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

Ahem I just found that there is another tap2dsk in the osdk/main part of the SVN and this one is the 2.1.

I'll do my modifications on this one.

Dbug, if you want to give me an account to your svn I will be able to upload those modifications.

I'll also add an option to give a name to the tapes in tap2dsk (putting a default name instead of "" as well).
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I think that the tap2cd version in SourceForge is not exactly the same I am using and which is on the OSDK repository (with sources).

Not sure how to organize all this, but it is a problem. Having different versions of the same tools with different behaviour, options, etc. could rapidly become a mess and a nightmare to maintain...

I'd go for having a kind of mirror here in defence-force, even if in a particular OSDK distro some tools are outdated. But I understand this has two drawbacks:
- More work for Dbug, and he's already doing too much...
- Will make the transition towards integrated tools (such as TapTool) more difficult.