Problem with tap2dsk

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Problem with tap2dsk

Post by Dbug »

Hello, hello.
People, we need to be careful with the changes we are doing.

Right now, Jylam is doing changes to port the OSDK to Linux, and Hialmar has made some changes to Tap2Dsk, and in both cases the code stopped compiling in VisualStudio so I had to spend some time fixing it.

So we need some rules:
- Check if you have VisualStudio that it still works
- Don't assume that all plateforms are POSIX (hint: #include <unistd.h> is not available in VisualStudio)
- When you add new commands, check that the required includes are there (hint: exit() requires #include <stdlib.h> (or cstdlib in a cpp file))
- Don't assume that all compiles are following C99, so do not declare variables in the middle of functions without a {} in a C program
- If you don't use a variable, remove it: I'm compiling with Warnings as errors on as many modules I can, so it complains about unused variables.

And very important:
- If you add features and bug fixes, please bump up the version number! (Else we can't differentiate Tap2Dsk v2.1 from the v2.1 without the bugs)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

FYI I am currently working on new versions of
- Wavclean
- Wav2tap
- Wav2taps (slow version)
- Tap2wav

Fabrice knows - but I think he doesn't have time to really follow this.
As I don't have any knowledge in standardization of C programming, when it's done (in a few weeks / months?), I'll check with you if some cleaning is required.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Symoon wrote:FYI I am currently working on new versions of
- Wavclean
- Wav2tap
- Wav2taps (slow version)
- Tap2wav

Fabrice knows - but I think he doesn't have time to really follow this.
As I don't have any knowledge in standardization of C programming, when it's done (in a few weeks / months?), I'll check with you if some cleaning is required.
What would really be nice is to have less split around tools.

Really Tap2Wav and Tap2CD should be the same tool with a slow/fast flag, same thing with Wav2tap and Wav2taps, which probably also contain 90% of similar code.

We have way too many tools that do almost the same thing but not entirely, and I'm trying to reduce that on my side (like I will merge Header and TapTap) because it makes scripting so much easier if you don't have to call three or four different tools just to build or convert one file.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Dbug wrote:Really Tap2Wav and Tap2CD should be the same tool with a slow/fast flag, same thing with Wav2tap and Wav2taps, which probably also contain 90% of similar code.
Wav2tap / Wav2taps have about 25% of similar code.
At 1st I thought making a single tool, but the synchronization, decoding strategy and error handling are totally different, and if one wants to add alterative parameters/options to the forthcoming Wav2taps, it would better stay separated from Wav2tap.
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

I use Visualstudio as well and my modifications compiled with it.

Maybe it's a problem with different versions of it. I think I have the 2013 version.

Sorry for the problem.
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Hialmar wrote:I use Visualstudio as well and my modifications compiled with it.

Maybe it's a problem with different versions of it. I think I have the 2013 version.

Sorry for the problem.
I'm still on VS2012, and indeed VS2013 has added some C99 conformity fixes.
I can't unfortunately switched to 2013 because I'm also using my home PC for work and I'm condemned to keep 2012 for some time :)
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

Ah sorry about that.

I didn't know about the difference in C99 conformity.
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.