PCHIRES

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

Twilighte
Game master

PCHIRES

Post by Twilighte »

PCHIRES is similar to PICTCONV but runs in a nice window on your desktop. It is not as functionality rich as PICTCONV but does have a preview of the converted image and the language can be set to French or English.
For sheer simplicity, this is a great utility for direct monochrome screen conversions.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

11 years later, a new version of PCHires is available ;-)
http://www.geocities.com/symoonmyself/pchires.zip

Grab it fast before Geocities disappears!

In this new version:
- correction of a file size bug. Some garbage was recorded at the end of the file, which made the resulting Hires screens sometimes bugging cross-delevopment tools. Now, except the header, the file size should be exactly 8000 bytes. Let me know if you ever experience some trouble with this (more or less bytes ;-))
- finally made the correct "AUTO mode with RTS for ROM1.0". In ROM 1.0, to avoid that CLOADing a Hires screen in a program stops the program, one has to add a RTS right before the Hires screen, and save it all in AUTO mode. This way, once the Hires screen is loaded, a RTS is executed, and the returns to the CLOADing program, not to the Ready.
Beware: this functionnality is useless on ROM 1.1, and might cause trouble with other tools (as there's one more byte than needed for the Hires screen).
Yicker
Pilot Officer

Post by Yicker »

Hi Symoon,

Wouldn't mind having this as an option in Oric Explorer, with your permission :D

Would you be able to supply the source code?

Cheers
Scott
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Wow Symoon, do you know i always use PCHIRES for all my graphics on the Oric. I'd be lost without it!
It is just sooo easy to use in comparison to Dbug's Pictconv because most times all i need is something to convert a monochrome 240x200 image to Oric HIRES and point'n'click is simple even for me :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Symoon, could be a good idea to host the source code on SVN perhaps ? This way people can fix bug or extend it if they want, and it will resist the demise of Geocities :)
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

That could be great you share also the sources of your Oric disk Manager :wink:
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Wow, I'm amazed to see so many reactions for such an out-dated tool :)

It took me hours to find the source code again. It's an old Visual Basic 3 code, and, well, it's my very dirty programming, you guys have been warned!
One things that good Windows programmers should do to update the source code would be to use a library to open the graphic files. So far the program just checks the file length to check if it's a correct file (which is a total horror :))

Yicker:
Wouldn't mind having this as an option in Oric Explorer, with your permission
Sure, I'll send you the source code.

Twilighte:
Thanks for the nice comments, I'm really pleased if it's useful! Sorry for the 11 years old bug :?

Dbug:
could be a good idea to host the source code on SVN
Sure, all I'd need is to find a moment to learn how to use SVN, and, if needed, being allowed to upload there?

Waskol:
That could be great you share also the sources of your Oric disk Manager
This one is bugged too. I want to correct the bugs I noticed before sharing the source code. Then I can share it though I would have loved carrying it on before (but I must have the nerve to realise that I will never have time to finish it ;))
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Re: PCHIRES

Post by peacer »

Is there a working link for the latest version of PCHIRES ?
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Since the demise of Geocities, I never put my old website up again. I was planning to, but as always, so many things to do and so little time.
I'll see with Dbug if / how I can store it there (to run properly, it requires old DLLs, not sure we can distribute them)
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

:( too bad. I hope you can manage to get files together. Visual basic runtimes are easy to find.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Symoon wrote:Since the demise of Geocities, I never put my old website up again. I was planning to, but as always, so many things to do and so little time.
I'll see with Dbug if / how I can store it there (to run properly, it requires old DLLs, not sure we can distribute them)
Should be fine.

I can host the file, possibly on the osdk.defence-force.org site in a new 'bonus software' category?
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Dbug wrote:
Symoon wrote:Since the demise of Geocities, I never put my old website up again. I was planning to, but as always, so many things to do and so little time.
Should be fine.

I can host the file, possibly on the osdk.defence-force.org site in a new 'bonus software' category?
Oh, I simply thought of FTP (or whatever you use for storage for the forum, I forgot), and linking from this topic!
My main concern was that I didn't want to upload VB3 runtimes DLL on any of your servers without you telling me yes or no before ;)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I'm fine with the VB dlls, it's better than forcing people to find them on some disreputable sites.
Just make sure it's not contaminated/trojanized versions :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

So here it is, executable file or source code (Visual Basic 3).
Old and dirty programming, but I was happy to know it was still in use recently.
Attachments
pchires_1.1d_src.zip
(4.96 KiB) Downloaded 829 times
pchires_1.1d.zip
(237.34 KiB) Downloaded 795 times
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Thank you so much Simon :))

Edit : Unfortunately can't run under Windows 7 64 bit as VB3.0 is 16 bit application :( Is there a way to run it other than virtual machine programs?