New pictconv soon

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

Antiriad2097
Flying Officer

Re: New pictconv soon

Post by Antiriad2097 »

Perhaps another editor could be tweaked to suit. I don't think it would be too hard to add an Oric mode to something like ZX Paintbrush http://www.zxmodules.de/ which is still developed.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Hit me with a large stick for saying windows instead of "modern OS". Of course something portable is much more interesting...
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Hope everything goes fine and we get out utility . Thanks :)
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Is there any advance in pictconv project?

I was trying to build a PC program to open pc graphics and using pictconv convert it to oric but this become beyond my programming skills in visual basic :)

Creating a new painting program from the scratch seems to be diffucult for all of us in Oric community. Perhaps one might think it is not useful or handy or effort to build such a program will be wasted.

So, instead of writing a new program, can't we use pictconv for a windows GUI utility?

Using command-line utility is quite diffucult.

Pimp - libpipi utility does so much for that. But it seems weak for use.

http://caca.zoy.org/wiki/libpipi/oric

I see some of you here contribute libpipi project in the web-page.

Automated conversion is really nice with pictconv and libpipi but sometimes needs some corrections especially right edge of the colored images.

There are many powerful picture editors available for modern PC's. So creating 240x200 resolution pictures with those editors is easy. Conversion of these pictures to Oric is the diffucult stage. pictconv does that for sure.

So we don't need powerfull - multilayered - multifunctional graphic editor. Only thing we need is a conversion utiliy with graphic interface.

So what I need to do is

- Create a picture by using any graphich utility and save it in 240x200 pixel format (gif, bmp, png etc)
- Our utility opens that picture and convert it to Oric screen
- I will see the converted image on that utility. Only simple edition tools is enough like correcting the edges, deleting wrong bytes
- Then save it as .tap or .hrs file.

So only conversion to oric routine is needed and pictonv serves it .

I believe our target shout be libpipi-The pimp utility might be updated. It succesfully loads .tap images. But no edition icons are active.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

If you want a drawing program for PC based on Oric limitations... Maybe learning to use HIDE, by Twilighte, would be the easiest solution! It runs on Oric but any emulator should run it fine.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

peacer wrote:Is there any advance in pictconv project?
My projects are generally on decade time frames.
So no there's been no advanced because for multiple reasons I do not have a lot of time to work on my own stuff.

This year my Oric time has been used by FreeCell and the Oric 1 birthday demo.
peacer wrote:So, instead of writing a new program, can't we use pictconv for a windows GUI utility?
That's always been the idea.
peacer wrote:Using command-line utility is quite diffucult.
I don't use the command line. I just have batch files to do that.
You can have a batch file that runs the conversion and then open the windows picture viewer to show the result if you want. That's why there is a 'pc' output format mode, it shows what it will look on the Oric.
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

@symoon. I admire hide as all other Twilighte productions. But main usage is converting pc digitalised graphics and pictures. Using mouse is another advantage. Of course, hide is probably the best graphic editor under Oric platform..

@dbug. its sad to hear no advance :) Hope you find time then.
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Mike, can I request something?

Can you post the batch file you mentioned here?

Also, do you have program code to read .tap file containing hires pictures as libpipi do?