Bas2Tap problem

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Bas2Tap problem

Post by waskol »

You cannot convert a text file to a tap file when the first line is line 0.
:wink:

IF the numbering of your line start at line 1, it will work.

In othrer words, this does not "compile" :

Code: Select all

0 PRINT "HELLO !"
This is OK :

Code: Select all

1 PRINT "HELLO !"
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Looks like I will have a bunch of things for the next release :)
Should not be too difficult to correct !

By the way, I was planning to add a number of "features" for BASIC programmers in Bas2Tap:
- A size reduction mode, generating a binary code where all variables names are reduced to 1 letter long names, then two letters (A,B, ... Z, AA, AB, ...), all REM and ' removed, line numbers modified to be 0, 1, 2, 3, ... lines which are not GOTO targets packed on the same line separated by ":" characters, etc...
- A pretty print mode, which would indent the IF/FOR/ loops with ":"+ space characters to highlight the structure, and additionaly the poking of color attributes at the begining of REM lines to make them nicer to read :)
- A label mode, to have GOTO TheSubRoutine instead of GOTO 300, which of course would generate line numbers , which introduce the next step: Removing the line numbers entirelly from the original source code.

Another possible thing would be to have the possibility to generate inline assembly code, but I guess it can be kind of tricky :)

etc...
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

inline asm code ? that would be a great idea ! but I can't imagine the challenge... :lol:

Otherelse, what you could add too, is to treat correctly the ? question mark when it is used for a PRINT command :wink:

I was about to suggest you the "Label" mode, but I just read in your reply that you already thought about it . This could me a Top feature.

Otherelse, I was thinking about one thing, on a real Oric, it is not possible to create too long lines of code (if I remember it is limited to the keyboard buffer capacity, i.e. 78 or 79 characters).
I did not checked yet if a line of, let say, 250 caracters would pass through your "compiler" and be accepted on an Oric (or at least Euphoric)
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

About the "Label mode" editing, hem, I think I have one on the way :wink:
(see this topic : http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopic.php?t=290 )