OSDK 1.1 Link65.exe weird syntax error

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

Re: OSDK 1.1 Link65.exe weird syntax error

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

Chema wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:15 am Yeah! Congrats! You finally found it!
It was sounding weirder and weirder with each post. I told you about to post your main so I could try to compile it, because it didn't make sense to me.
We've been not of much help, but you managed yourself exceptionally :)
Well, you have all been helpful, being able to discuss about the issue and testing your suggestions (headers, content of main.c) has allowed me to experiment and keep my sanity. :D
Dbug wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:04 pm Well

Code: Select all

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\mike>set osdk
osdk=D:\svn\public\pc\tools\osdk\main\Osdk\_final_
osdkdosbox=C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe

C:\Users\mike>
Damn, the mystery deepens even further! :lol:

The only explanation I can think of is that what is currently submitted to SVN differs somehow than what you have on your local disk. Possibly because you have re-built the OSDK locally and thus your _final_ contains a valid version but SVN contains an invalid one?

Which by the way makes me wonder: is the content of SVN/path/to/_final_ supposed to be part of the SVN repository?
When unzipping the official OSDK 1.1 archive, it is clear that what it contains is what ends up in OSDK/main/Osdk/_final_ after make-ing the OSDK. So does it need to be in SVN since it can be regenerated from sources anyway or just extracted from the official zip file?

Just to make sure I understand, what would happen for example if I did the following:
  • Get sources from SVN.
  • delete everything inside Osdk/_final_ to get a clean slate (would "make clean" do it?)
  • build the OSDK, that is "make all"
If I understand correctly the current organization, this should produce the content that ends up being store in the OSDK zip archive right?

Sorry for adding even more questions. ;)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

The content of "_final_" does not have to be on SVN, but I found it practical as a way to be 100% transparent and replicable, it's indeed what I zip (after removing the build folders and the content of TMP of course) to make the official releases.

I would not do that for an Unreal engine project, but with the size of the OSDK it's only a minor amount of additional data (only the content of "bin" really), and it makes it easier (for me) to publish versions and check them.

If you delete everything inside osdk/_final_ to get a clean state... you also delete the samples, libraries, macros, etc... which are not anywhere else in the repository, same thing with the emulators and roms.

Building the OSDK does not build all that, only the few binaries in the bin folder.
NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

Dbug wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:59 am The content of "_final_" does not have to be on SVN, but I found it practical as a way to be 100% transparent and replicable, it's indeed what I zip (after removing the build folders and the content of TMP of course) to make the official releases.
[...]
If you delete everything inside osdk/_final_ to get a clean state... you also delete the samples, libraries, macros, etc... which are not anywhere else in the repository, same thing with the emulators and roms.
Building the OSDK does not build all that, only the few binaries in the bin folder.
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks!

So, only the bin/ folder really needs to be cleaned up before use. I guess it could simply be put in the ignore list of SVN to avoid accidental submissions, but it looks doing so is quite a complicated process on SVN so I certainly would not volunteer for that. ;) (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/860 ... sion#86052)

I guess the safe approach after getting the SVN repo is either to overwrite _final_ with the latest OSDK archive or to rebuild it. Having tried the first approach I know it works but I will try the other one when I am on vacation (next week! ;)) just to make sure.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

There is no such thing as "accidental submission".
A developer that does not systematically diff every single file of the change list, and make sure the commit message matches the content, before pushing the submit button, does not deserve the status of developer :)
NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

Dbug wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:00 pm There is no such thing as "accidental submission".
A developer that does not systematically diff every single file of the change list, and make sure the commit message matches the content, before pushing the submit button, does not deserve the status of developer :)
You really are my code brother. ;)
I agree wholeheartedly.

But then I am even more puzzled: why did the OSDK _final_ folder produce such weird result compared to the content of the OSDK archive?

It is still possible that I somehow messed up the content of that folder which then subsequently led to these weird errors so I guess I will have to redo a test from a clean environment to see if I can reproduce the issue. At the moment, I know how to avoid it, but I will not be able to sleep at night before I can reproduce and explain it. ;)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

One thing I can think of, is that for some reason the carriage return on some of the files got modified, like the macros or lib files, and that upsets one of the parsers which ends up generating incorrect code... but since we have people routinely using the OSDK files with linux and windows, I can't think of any specific reason about why that would fail for you.

Ok, so could you summarize:
- What operating system are you using
- Which compiler do you try to build the OSDK with
- Where is the repository mapped (is there spaces in the path, is it super long, is there some symbolic links or directory junctions, ...)

Also, since it's only been asked 37 times, could you just zip and attach your _final_\TMP folder so we can look as what is inside.
NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

Dbug wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:07 am One thing I can think of, is that for some reason the carriage return on some of the files got modified, like the macros or lib files, and that upsets one of the parsers which ends up generating incorrect code... but since we have people routinely using the OSDK files with linux and windows, I can't think of any specific reason about why that would fail for you.

Ok, so could you summarize:
- What operating system are you using
- Which compiler do you try to build the OSDK with
- this was on my PC laptop, so Windows7.
- I do not remember if I actually compiled the OSDK at all,
I got the sources from GitHub (https://github.com/nekoniaow/OSDK) and kinda recall running directly with them but my memory of that process is fuzzy so I will have to look into that again to verify.
Dbug wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:07 am - Where is the repository mapped (is there spaces in the path, is it super long, is there some symbolic links or directory junctions, ...)
I did attempt to use a few directory junctions so that I could use the sources and the OSDK folders I had on my DropBox folder but DropBox does not like them very much (you can make junctions to Dropbox/... but not from it).
But my issues actually appeared before I started fiddling with junctions. I will double check.
Dbug wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:07 am Also, since it's only been asked 37 times, could you just zip and attach your _final_\TMP folder so we can look as what is inside.
Oopsies. ;)
I am a bit busy this week end since I am preparing for my Monday flight but as soon as I have time I will work on re-constructing my faulty OSDK and attach it here. ;)