Orikai

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

Scalex
2nd Star Corporal

Orikai

Post by Scalex »

I would like to present today a small utility on which I work since some time: Orikai
orikai.png

The initial and main purpose was to have a Windows tool to study (and understand) how works the Hires mode of the Oric.

The first use of this utility is therefore the display of a dump of the hires memory of the Oric (the 8000 bytes between $A000 and $BF3F).
Open the file and move the mouse over the image displayed (4x magnified) and information about bytes will be displayed.

But it's also a bit more than that and can even be a (rudimentary) pixel editor.

My English is not very good (as you can see), so I let you discover the features by yourself!

Some information anyway:

- 3 Modes : normal ("study mode"), edit mode (byte/bit edition), pixel edition mode
- undo/redo capabilities.
- passing file to open on the command line (ex: Orikai.exe "D:\fullpath\filename.hir") for use in a batch file (after conversion with PictConv for example)
- drag n drop

Mouse usage:
- right button = displaying menus with some additional functions.
- middle button = pixel mode.
- X1 button (mouse button x, the one with which you go back in your browser for example) = byte edit mode. You can set each bit individually or bytes directly.

In Pixel mode : use left button to edit pixel and right button to access menus with additional functions.
Use mouse wheel to move the magnified selection (ctrl+mouse wheel to move horizontally).

Do not hesitate to report bugs if you find some (there are probably many).

One last thing: this tool is far from current windows standards. It was initially planned only as a private and personal tool. And it's not at all a drawing software for the Oric!
But it would be able to provide services especially in a cross development environment!

File information and download:

Orikai.zip
(22.06 KiB) Downloaded 409 times
Orikai.exe (v0.98.6)
SHA256: 7e3a37672b743493f0c2a8390ca6b81d9f380414bbed6133a4f1e15c2bacacf0
https://www.virustotal.com/fr/file/7e3a ... 527445276/

Platform: win32 (tested on Windows 10 64bits)

- Need Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 (vc_redist.x86.exe even for Windows 64bits)
downloadable at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=48145

- Need FreeImage.dll (v3.17.0.0): used only to export to PC format (same as the PictConv -o5 option)
I could not directly include FreeImage.dll in the zip file because it would be too large to be uploaded as an attachment to this thread.
downloadable at: http://freeimage.sourceforge.net/download.html.
Warning: use the 32 bits version of FreeImage.dll (FreeImage\Dist\x32\ directory in the zip archive)

spiderman.png
Last edited by Scalex on Tue May 29, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Re: Orikai

Post by ibisum »

Wow, this is great - and precisely what I need to continue my hacking on my Oric projects .. what a pity I don't have a Windows machine handy to run it though .. time to set up that VM.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Nice work, congratulations!
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Well done, Scalex! At first glance it works nice :).
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I'm not quite sure what happened: Yesterday I wrote a relatively long post with a list of things I like and possible improvements... and it's gone Oo
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

I am so happy to see such a work. I've also been working on similar project of pc--> Oric picture converter and Oric hires screen editor. There's too much work on this. I will announce it here when it would be something usable.

But unfortunately I can't run Orikai . I have tried to run it on different computers, desktop and laptops, running windows 10 and windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit enviroments. I've send it to some friends and they can't run it either. We always get an error of "The Application was Unable to Start Correctly (0xc000007b) "

What I tried to fix this is as follows
- Uninstall and re-install all Visual C++ Redistributable packages, including 64 bit and 32 bit versions
- Run the program as administrator
- Reinstall Microsoft .NET framework, eventhough windows 10 has already equipped with this.

I put FreeImage.dll, FreeImage.h and FreeImage.lib files to the same directory as orikai. exe

Is there any thing I can do to fix the problem?

I am now using Windows 10 64 bits running intel core i7 CPU 3.60 Ghz with 16 gb RAM.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Strange, I had no problem running it (Windows 7 / 64 bit), all I needed was the FreeImage dll, the rest I already had a long time ago :D
Scalex
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Scalex »

@peacer : I'm sorry about the issue you're having to launch Orikai.

I tested it without problem on two different machines. Both of them are running Windows 10 / 64 bits.
On the second, the only thing I had to do was to install the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 (x86 - 32 bits version).

it looks like you are from Turkey. Are the friends who tried to launch Orikai from Turkey too?
Maybe is there a language setting problem or something in yours Windows configuration that generate this issue with Orikai?

I will try to investigate about this issue.

Btw, your program looks very promising!
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Yes, my friends are also from Turkey. I posted the file along with freeimage dll's to a computer-related forum. They got the same error..

I triend english and turkish versons of Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015. (Both x86 and 64 bit versions ) The same error occured every time..

I tried it at hospital with my work PC which is windows 7 with 32 bit hardware. Again the same.

I googled 0xc000007b error and there are it looks like its near surely visual studio redist.. I downloaded some "dll packages" they offered and copy them to windows directory and can't solve it..

One website is like this. I tried all the steps here for example.
https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/ho ... 07b-error/
Scalex
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Scalex »

it seems like this issue ("The Application was Unable to Start Correctly (0xc000007b)") is very common and hits a lot of people for a lot of programs.
Most of the time it comes from a DLL problem!
Something you can try:
- download and install Dependency Walker (http://www.dependencywalker.com/)
- launch it and open Orikai.exe

Don't worry about alerts and all the yellow question marks! The program has not been updated for a while and it no longer detects some APIs correctly.
The main goal here is to detect if all the DLLs required by Orikai.exe are present on your system.

Here is a screenshot taken on my PC (and on which the program works correctly!):
dw.png
Scalex
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Scalex »

if all DLLs are present in your system, you have to check the version numbers.

Especially for VCRUNTIME140.DLL:

For example, I have two different versions on my PCs!

These two are OK (for Orikai.exe).

And I'm not sure that the installation of "Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015" always replaces the version already on the system...
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

My dependencies are like this

These are the libraries I have..

I have completely uninstalled all the libraries, then reinstalled them

Everything looks fine to me ..
Scalex
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Scalex »

Can you check the version number of your vcruntime140.dll (right clic/properties) ?
You can find the file in: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Its 14.0.24215.1
Scalex
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Scalex »

your vcruntime140.dll is probably fine, so you'll must check the others.
It's a bit boring to do, sorry for that! But I do not see any other leads to your problem...

Here are all my version numbers for each DLL used:

(all in C:\Windows\SysWOW64)

kernel32.dll : 10.0.17134.1
user32.dll : 10.0.17134.1
gdi32.dll : 10.0.17134.1
comdlg32.dll : 10.0.17134.1
shell32.dll : 10.0.17134.48
ole32.dll : 10.0.17134.1
comctl32.dll : 5.82.17134.1
shlwapi.dll : 10.0.17134.1

All theses files are updated with Windows and their version depends directly on the version of Windows (last and mine is currently 17134.48 => 1803).
Is your Windows up to date?