IDEs, text editors and extensions used for cross development?

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

IDEs, text editors and extensions used for cross development?

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

Hello kitties,

I recently got back into Oric development (with the OSDK) and noticed that there is 6502 assembly syntax coloring for Notepad++, however not being a fan of Notepad++ I wondered if there were other IDEs or editors which offered extensions usable for Oric development?

As IDEs/editors I tend to use the following:
  • Sublime Text
  • Visual Studio
  • Visual Studio Code (just testing it from time to time).
On Sublime Text I could find the following extensions:
  • Kick Assembler (it is a C64 assembler but maybe the syntax coloring could be reused).
  • New addition: the package "65816" which offers the "CC65" syntax coloring which also covers 6502/6510 syntax.
Visual Studio Code seems to have quite a few extensions usable:
  • Dasm macro assembler
  • MADS, 6502/65816 Assembly language, MADS syntax highlighting
  • Beeb VSC, 6502 developmemnt environment (BBC Mcro/BeebASm).
  • cc65 for 6502/65816 machines (CC65 Plugin for Compiling and Linking C & Assembly)
  • Acme Cross Assembler (C64), Acme Cross-Assembler for VS Code (C64)
On Visual Studio 2017 I found nothing. ;)

Note that I use both Windows 7 and MacOS for home coding so I tend to gravitate toward solutions which exist for both, that is mainly Sublime Text and VS Code (but I keep an eye on Visual Studio Mac in case it ever gets feature parity with the Windows version).

Do you guys use other IDEs/editors and if so, which extensions do your rely on for syntax coloring, build configurations, cross compilations, etc?
Last edited by NekoNoNiaow on Fri May 25, 2018 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Re: IDEs, text editors and extensions used for cross development?

Post by ibisum »

I'm using vim just fine with its builtin asm syntax highlighting, in combination with cscope+vim bindings, which gives a full IDE experience - navigation to global refs, search by call/ref, etc.

Only gotcha was adding "set ft=nasm" so that highlighting works with 6502 assembly code, but other than that its a pretty delightful environment.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I use Notepad++, so cannot help here.

But a quick Google search came up with this https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/it ... ageService

Is that what you wanted for Visual Studio?

Edit: Works for my Visual Studio Community 2015, with command completion and all...
2018-05-24.png
Now we need a way to compile, run and debug from within Visual Studio's IDE :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Nice, did not know that one :)
NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

Chema wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:17 pm I use Notepad++, so cannot help here.
No worries, though I will pray for your soul since I consider Notepad++ to be pure torture. ;)
Chema wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:17 pm But a quick Google search came up with this https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/it ... ageService

Is that what you wanted for Visual Studio?
Oh, nice. Yes, this does offer syntax coloring indeed (and apparently much more!).
Thanks!
Chema wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:17 pm Edit: Works for my Visual Studio Community 2015, with command completion and all...
I am afraid it will not work with VS 2017 which I currently use, but I guess I will have to try.
This said, I am currently satisfied with Sublime Text and VS Code offers so many choices that I could easily switch to it if I end up dissatisfied with Sublime.
Chema wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:17 pm Now we need a way to compile, run and debug from within Visual Studio's IDE :)
This Merlin Visual Studio extension actually provides compilation, it contains the Merlin32 cross assembler which targets 6510 and 65816 CPUs. From what I read on their web site the assembler seems quite adaptable to other machines so it may be adapted for Oric use and possibly for the OSDK.

As for running/debugging support, I am trying to convince ThomH to add minimal remote debugging support for Clock Signal, this would allow to interface it with either VS Code or Visual Studio and offer live debugging. If you are interested, then you can mention your interest on the corresponding post of the Clock Signal thread. ;)
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

I published yesterday a xa65 highlighting extension for Visual code (name : osdk). It did it 3 months ago.

Of course, the extension can be improved a lot. Source code is available under github https://github.com/oric-software/osdkVsExtension
NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

jede wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:23 pm I published yesterday a xa65 highlighting extension for Visual code (name : osdk). It did it 3 months ago.

Of course, the extension can be improved a lot. Source code is available under github https://github.com/oric-software/osdkVsExtension
Nice, it does indeed show in the VS Code extension list. Thanks!
I have installed it and will try to use it from time to time as a change from Sublime Text.

But damn, VS Code uses XML for its tmLanguage files, which no doubt kills kittens by the dozen every time someone attempts to modify them.

If I can find time (do not hold your breath), I will try to convert these to YAML and install the "TextMate Languages" extension which allows to work with these files directly in YAML and convert them to XML only when done.

I would recommend to ship the YAML files along with the extension so that people can use them to enhance the syntax coloring rather because YAML is much easier to read and work with than XML.