BomberZ.bas and bas2tap ..

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

ibisum
Wing Commander

Re: BomberZ.bas and bas2tap ..

Post by ibisum »

Great work Dbug, looking forward to playing with it .. these changes certainly make BASIC more palatable ..
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

Hi,
I am the author of the label2num and I am very happy to see it included with bas2tap.
BASIC lines have always been a kind of pain. The idea was to bring some a bit of flexibility in order to code for the oric.

BomberZ is a type in program took in the book "Oric Atmos, vos programmes" by Michel BUSSAC & G. ESPECHE.

You can find the book and download it in the oric library, far to the bottom of the page
http://www.defence-force.org/computing/ ... /index.htm

"This book present various type in programs in BASIC (+Machine code in DATA) : games, programming utilities, home applications, etc...
What is particularly interesting in this book is the fact, put aside that the programs are very well commented, that you will find some very nice machine code routines (vertical and horizontal hires scrolling) and how to reuse them."

BomberZ uses an horizontal scrolling machin code sub-routine.
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

A bunch of thoughts :
- Label2num was quite dirty, I admit, but line numbering in BASIC has always been a pain in the a... for a lot of people : so many renumbering routines have been wrote in magazines and elsewhere are symptomatic of the problem.
- It was (a little bit) inspired by FORTRAN wich looks like similar (line numbers are not always mandatory, and it is rather close to BASIC syntax)
- I really apologized to have orphaned this project in the past, I faced up a lot of problems in my life at this moment : 2 years living without any ID papers. I'm still paying that period of my life ( I am homeless now, administratively Idon't have the right to work since 3 years and for about 6 month from now). Be intersexed in France is, de facto, criminal in France, I don't know why there are so much hate in this society for this subject. I am just happy that my story brought same sex marriage in France and a few laws to protect transgendered people. Dreaming about living in another country, to start my life again. Anyway, it is not the subject there...
- Good it was included within Bas2Tap and that you sorted it out.
- Now, I have a github : my project will be hosted forever whatever happens to myself.

Now, I was wondering a few things about labeled BASIC :
- should we give it its own file extension (.lab) ?
- Do you believe if it is possible to make a new Oric ROM that understands labeled BASIC instead ?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Now, I was wondering a few things about labeled BASIC :
- should we give it its own file extension (.lab) ?
On which side, on the Oric sedoric disks for example, or on the PC cross compilation side?
If you are thinking the later, then I think it's way too restrictive: My extended version of Bas2Tap adds labels, but also defines, escape sequences, etc...
At the end, the generate file is still a 100% compatible Oric BASIC TAP file.
- Do you believe if it is possible to make a new Oric ROM that understands labeled BASIC instead ?
Everything is possible, the main difficulty is to make that fit in a 1.1 ROM without changing any of the existing addresses.
Make and Oric ROM that understand labeled BASIC, sure.
Will it be able to run normal Oric software without change, definitely an order of magnitude more difficult.
A way to do that would be to do it the SEDORIC way, by extending the language as a bank that can be loaded dynamically.
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

I was speaking about the PC cross compilation side, in fact.
Everything is possible, the main difficulty is to make that fit in a 1.1 ROM without changing any of the existing addresses.
Make and Oric ROM that understand labeled BASIC, sure.
Will it be able to run normal Oric software without change, definitely an order of magnitude more difficult.
A way to do that would be to do it the SEDORIC way, by extending the language as a bank that can be loaded dynamically.
Oh, I see, it's cannot be so easy to do, it has a lot of restrictions to this. Noneed to precise that input of a line could be difficult too :

Code: Select all

Ready
PRINT"HELLO"
how to distinguish in this case, an immediate instruction from a new line of program ? how to insert a line into existing code ?
I dknow doubt about the feasability.

Thank you DBug for your answers.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

(waskol:"Dreaming about living in another country, to start my life again." -- just for the record, I've done this a few times and it is really, really good for you... stay strong, stay true to yourself, and love will find you. The world is full of love.)