OSDK won't run in Wine

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

Bacon
Private

OSDK won't run in Wine

Post by Bacon »

Dbug, just to let you know: Wine (in Linux) doesn't seem to like OSDK. It will only run Win32 programs, and as I understand it OSDK has a few DOS apps in there, which seems to be the problem.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
TheSpider
Pilot Officer

Post by TheSpider »

Suggestion: Try running DosBox on Linux

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net
Peter (TheSpider) Paterson
A Scotsman in Kentucky
http://thespider.oric.org
http://mintspider.blogspot.com
Bacon
Private

Post by Bacon »

I would, but Dosbox won't run Win32 apps, and there are some of those in OSDK too, IIRC. Kind of a catch 22 there :?

Nevermind though. There are other assemblers. I managed to get Tape Header Creator working with Wine (at least I got it started, don't know if it will crash when I try to do something with it) so I can assemble a file with DASM (I've been looking at ca65 but it's way too complicated to learn for my small projects) and turn it into a .tap with THC.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Ok, I managed to get a fully working version of the OSDK under Wine.
The only problem came from the only part I didn't recompiled myself, called "TR.EXE" that for some reason was crashing wine...

So well I rewrote this program, and now it work, so I guess I will soon be able to do a new version that is compatible with Wine, with additional documentation on how to install and configure it, and seriously now considering how it work I do not ever see the point to do a native port to linux :D

Now my big problem is Euphoric.

Does it look possible to get the dos version of Euphoric (that used a dos extender for getting 32 bits flat mode access) to run under Wine ?

I could of course use XEuphoric, but no... I NEED the debugger.

Can anyone help me running Euphoric under linux ?
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

It would be way simpler to recompile everything in linux... plus we could finally use makefiles instead of .bat braindeadness :) (Yes you can even use them in windows with Cygwin :P)
For the tape headers I wrote a similar tool for LUnix that should build in linux.
As for Euphoric, there are other emulators out there, maybe QEmu ?
Hopefully it will merge with XEuphoric someday.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Well we can agree on the fact that we disagree on the fact that makefile are better than batch file. I personaly highly despise makefiles.

Now, about the "would be way simpler to recompiler everything in linux", I don't really consider it would be simpler. First because not everything is directly portable, and second because my whole batch file system is not portable by definition.

I prefer to update one single package, being sure that it actually work fine under Wine, than trying to keep in sync two packages. I already got people that offered to create/maintain a Linux version (three of them so far) but the fact is that they are not there anymore.

Considering Euphoric vs Other, there is no other Oric Emulator with a built-in debogger. And for a SDK it's a major feature.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Re: OSDK won't run in Wine

Post by Godzil »

DBug: I'm still here :o

mmu_man: For euphoric, dosbox is the best solution! Or Oricutron work great! (and Oricutron have a debugguer!) what is missing from all the emulator is a way to debug C code, but, this won't be easy to implement.

Hum, just found that I answered a bot.. Crap!