OSDK bugs

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

Dbug
Site Admin

OSDK bugs

Post by Dbug »

Hi.
I spent a bit of time today to implement a very primitive issue tracking system on the osdk site:
http://www.osdk.org/index?page=issues

Considering the low traffic, it does not really make sense to have a full system such as Bugzilla, Kira, Mantis, etc... so that will have to do :)

Of course over time I will add some details, task id, css to make it pretty, reprocase, etc... but in the mean time if you want to get issues worked on they will have to appear on this page.

To make them appear, the easiest is to either send me a mail (dbug@defence-force.org) or post on this thread with a clear description of what the problem is, ideally with sample code or easy to reproduce examples.

Thanks!
iss
Wing Commander

Re: OSDK bugs

Post by iss »

I found little bug in OSDK libraries.
Problem: Can't compile program which uses both functions 'memcpy' and 'strcpy'.
Error: Symbol 'get_2ptr' is already defined.
Sample code:

Code: Select all

#include <lib.h>
static char* a = "a";
static char b[2];
void main(void)
{
    strcpy(b,a);
    memcpy(b,a,2);
}
Possible solution: In file 'osdk/main/Osdk/_final_/lib/strcpy.s' remove duplicated code - from line #28 to end of file. This code is defined in 'osdk/main/Osdk/_final_/lib/c_parameters.s'.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Your fix is correct, thanks for reporting :)

If you look in library.ndx you will see that the symbol is already present:

Code: Select all

-c_parameters.s	
	get_2ptr
It will be fixed in the next version of the OSDK, in the mean time please remove the version of get_2ptr which is not in the c_parameters.s file
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Thanks for update in defence-force SVN. This bug is Dbug-ged now! ;)
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

A post at ori.org forum has exposed an annoying bug with rand() and random() functions in OSDK. The problem actually is that rand() is defined in 'lib.h' and in 'stdlib.h'. If you use only rand() then the definition in 'lib.h" is used and it works ok, but if you use random() then both _rand and _random (which are the same thing) are linked from lib/rand.s and imho they don't work .
Possible solution is to remove rand/random from the lib/rand.s. BTW, there is a file 'lib/random.s' too, which is unused at all.
retroric
Pilot Officer

Post by retroric »

This is the post iss refers to:
http://forums.oric.org/t633-fonction-random-et-rand

Speaking of OSDK issues, there seems to be a bug about the bug tracking system itself :D , this page seems to have vanished:
http://www.osdk.org/index?page=issues
flag_fr RetrOric, aka laurentd75 flag_uk
            GitHub - RetrOric
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Before I look more in detail, is it a new issue, or is it the same as in described there:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1870&p=18007&hilit=rand#p18007
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Yes, it's the same bug.
NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

By the way, are there now light weight bug/issue tracking systems which could be used for the OSDK?

I agree that a full fledged system would be overkill but on the other hand, having to send emails instead of going to a well know web page with proper editing/linking/referencing tools also reduces motivation to signal bugs. I am pretty sure that there are quite a few bugs posted in the forums that would benefit from a central repository.

As an example, GitHub has a really minimalist issue tracking system which is very lightweight but very functional. If there were other host-able similar solutions that would be really nice to use.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

NekoNoNiaow wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:09 am By the way, are there now light weight bug/issue tracking systems which could be used for the OSDK?

I agree that a full fledged system would be overkill but on the other hand, having to send emails instead of going to a well know web page with proper editing/linking/referencing tools also reduces motivation to signal bugs. I am pretty sure that there are quite a few bugs posted in the forums that would benefit from a central repository.

As an example, GitHub has a really minimalist issue tracking system which is very lightweight but very functional. If there were other host-able similar solutions that would be really nice to use.
As far as I know, all the bugs mentioned in the forum are added to the issue list, with the correct component, date of when it was mentioned, by whom, and with a link to the forum thread where it's discussed.

What is missing indeed is a simpler way to add bugs, I could just do that with a formular with a list of fields and a "send" button, and sorting/searching, (mostly because when the entire list of bugs fits on one page it was not deemed urgent).

What none of the issue trackers I've see does, is the ability to have the list of known/fixed issues shown directly on the product page.

Example: If you go on http://www.osdk.org/index.php?page=issues and click on the "Ym2MYM" component name at the end of the page, it links to http://www.osdk.org/index.php?page=docu ... age=ym2mym and at the end of the page you have the list of all opened and closed issues, including which particular version of the OSDK contains the bug fix.

As far as I'm concerned, issue trackers are pretty much all shitty and made for managers, not made for programmers. Having suffered the infamy of using the piece of crap we had at Eden (the Access based stuff from Infogrames), the depressingly sad Bugzilla, the frustratingly retarded Jira, the fancy but unusable Hansoft, and a couple of other... I'd rather evolve my own than integrate another one.

Another issue (haha) is that every single piece of software comes with its own way to authenticate users, so people need accounts for the forum, for doku wiki, for the issue tracker, etc... and it's a real pain, open id is not supported by most systems, and I refuse to use things like "authenticate using Facebook/Google/OtherSpywareTracker" systems.

One thing to remember, is that all this stuff I'm doing is for me a way to tackle with things. and enjoy my time.

I enjoy building things, I enjoy spending time on making software stuff the way I want software stuff to work, integrating other people code in my process generally make me annoyed, angry and frustrated.

So what I suggest is: Make me a list of the features you think are absolutely necessary, sorted by decreasing importance, and I'll see what I can do.
NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

Dbug wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:23 am Example: If you go on http://www.osdk.org/index.php?page=issues and click on the "Ym2MYM" component name at the end of the page, it links to http://www.osdk.org/index.php?page=docu ... age=ym2mym and at the end of the page you have the list of all opened and closed issues, including which particular version of the OSDK contains the bug fix.
Oh, I never realized that, this is useful indeed. Thanks!
Dbug wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:23 am As far as I'm concerned, issue trackers are pretty much all shitty and made for managers, not made for programmers. Having suffered the infamy of using the piece of crap we had at Eden (the Access based stuff from Infogrames), the depressingly sad Bugzilla, the frustratingly retarded Jira, the fancy but unusable Hansoft, and a couple of other... I'd rather evolve my own than integrate another one.
Yup, they are usually way too complicated for their own good.
This said, the GitHub tracking system is much simpler and a breeze to use. As a comparison point, it is very useful.
As an example, here is the list of issues of ThomH's CLK : https://github.com/TomHarte/CLK/issues
Dbug wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:23 am Another issue (haha) is that every single piece of software comes with its own way to authenticate users, so people need accounts for the forum, for doku wiki, for the issue tracker, etc... and it's a real pain, open id is not supported by most systems, and I refuse to use things like "authenticate using Facebook/Google/OtherSpywareTracker" systems.
I Agree 100%!
Dbug wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:23 amOne thing to remember, is that all this stuff I'm doing is for me a way to tackle with things. and enjoy my time.

I enjoy building things, I enjoy spending time on making software stuff the way I want software stuff to work, integrating other people code in my process generally make me annoyed, angry and frustrated.

So what I suggest is: Make me a list of the features you think are absolutely necessary, sorted by decreasing importance, and I'll see what I can do.
Huhu, I certainly agree with that angle.
I have not been very active lately but next time I need to deal with OSDK bugs I will take care to write down suggestions!