Eclipse and WUDSN IDE

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Eclipse and WUDSN IDE

Post by barnsey123 »

Hi Guys,

I know this topic has been discussed before in various dark corners of the interweb but that was a couple of years ago. I only started using WUDSN yesterday to dip my toe in the water for an Atari A8 project (who am I kidding...who's got the time!?) BUT it looks like it could benefit Oric coders (both new coders and those who are a bit more old skool). Havic oric at least visible in WUDSN might drag a few more coders in? http://www.wudsn.com/

With WUDSN supporting more 6502 platforms it would be a shame to see Oric left out in the cold. Are there any technical restrictions which preclude Oric's inclusion? Don't get me wrong, I love using OSDK but it's always nice to have different tools sometimes (especially if - like me - your not yet too hot on ASM)

I won't lose any sleep if it can't be done but it would be a "nice to have" (I think)
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Re: Eclipse and WUDSN IDE

Post by coco.oric »

Hello, i've also (for Apple) installed this environment on my pc.
I've not tried it at the moment so it would be a good help for me if you send me a sample to test it.

Didier
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Could you write a summary of what this IDE exactly does, and what would be necessary to make it usable for the Oric?
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

But WHY use eclipse????

It's just make it a no-go for me, and a lots of other people I know.
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

A description here from pouet from 2011: http://www.pouet.net/topic.php?which=7997&page=1 things have probably changed since then.

@dbug: On the link JAC (the author of WUSDN) says that "all" we need is an XML file and some classes which probably makes sense if I knew more about it. I've only used the thing for a few minutes so I'm no expert. Maybe it'll make sense later. I'll contact JAC to see if he can explain what we need.

@coco: I haven't got any Apple II ASM to send you but there's probably some on the web somewhere.

@Godzil: Why use eclipse? Don't know, but the IDE does show coding errors (click on the error and it takes you to the offending line of code). I know some people hate it but I haven't used it enough to understand why. I can't see any obvious issues. It looks like a nice environment, select your preferred assembler and preferred emulator and hit "compile and run". Obviously if you are an expert ASM coder (probably most of you reading this) then you probably don't need it but for beginners it's probably very helpful, especially of you are coding on more then one platform (as I intend to do).

The integrated nature of the thing will appeal to some people. Having the editor, filesystem, debugger etc all accessible from one screen simplifies the process of development. That is why such things exist. Again, I suppose it's personal preference. An example: I've tried to like JEDIT but I keep going back to Crimson Editor coz I like it and it works for me.

For Oric I'll continue to use OSDK coz I'm familiar with it but could use WUDSN to help track down future ASM issues. HNEFATAFL 2.0 exists in my head which will make more use of ASM and I'm thinking of a port to A8 so it sort of makes sense to use one tool (for my sanity's sake) :wink:
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

The thing is, Eclipse is large (large like HUGE), slow to start, full of menus all over the place, etc... I sure hope the WUDSN is a trimmed down version of Eclipse :)
(Also, it's written in Java, and I'm trying to get rid of Java on all my computers, the only thing that needs it is my netbank identification system).

Using an IDE makes sense only if it simplify things or bring features you actually use.

Since you are already using Crimson Editor, do you know that you can compile directly from it, and run the program without quitting the IDE?
I'm pretty sure it can also show the list of errors and supports clicking on them to open the right file.

That being said, there's a 30 minutes presentation of the system:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk3Y7mtPwUo
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

I've now succeeded in using WUDSN. It's a very fat package.
Only asm code is allowed, it's a big limitation for such a big tool.
I think i'll continue to use Crimson Editor, and the OSDK package. It will be lighter and more powerful.

May be the best "global" solution could be WUDSN with CC65 inside.
Yicker
Pilot Officer

Post by Yicker »

Hi all,

I use Eclipse at work and yes it is quite a bulky application and has a lot of menus which can be very confusing. Not sure it would be an ideal solution for Oric development especially as it will only do ASM.

Along side my Oric Explorer application, I'm also working on an IDE for Oric development called Oric Developer. It's very much in it's early stages at the moment but it will allow both BASIC and ASM code to be developed. One feature will be allowing the user to click on an error and it will take you straight to the piece of code in error.

This is a screenshot of the main screen.
OricDeveloper.jpg
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Along with a trolls activity, I read about the "Oric developer" tool again by Yicker.

Why did you give up enhancing the oric explorer? The oric hrs viewer, PC diassembler, disc viewer etc. was incredible. It has been a long time that nothing is heard about the oric explorer. I hope the softare will be updated soon..
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

The same for me, i hope that oric explorer will be upgraded. There's a lot of tools for apple ii, c64, amstrad and a more powerful oric explorer will be a must have.

waiting for ... or learning c# to build one ?
Yicker
Pilot Officer

Post by Yicker »

Hi all,

Just to let you know I have been working on Oric Explorer V2.0. There is still a lot of work to do but I'm hoping in the next couple of weeks to have a usable version for people to take a look at. It will only be basic functionality but hopefully there should be enough there for people to try out and give me some feedback.

Cheers
Scott
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Scott, you can ask me to be a beta tester if you need it.
It will be a pleasure for me.
Didier
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Can't wait, Oric Explorer is a wonderful program indeed !
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Oh its a very great news ! So happy to hear that.

I hope, one day, there will be picture / font editing functionality in it too :)
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Yicker: Any chance to have Oric Explorer working on another platform than Windows?

I could provide help to port it to OS X (and using the native UI would be great, better than using Qt ;))