Eclipse and WUDSN IDE

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

ibisum
Wing Commander

Re: Eclipse and WUDSN IDE

Post by ibisum »

I second the call for a chance to work on the cross-platform port of this tool - I only have a Windows VM for the Oric tools, and wouldn't be using it otherwise .. it'd be seriously nice to be able to use Oric tools on either Linux (preferred) or OSX (also good) ..
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

This is nice news too!!!

And now that it comes to mind, a tool for editing disk images (copying/adding/deleting/renaming files, for instance) would be incredible. Something such as a file explorer where I can open a disk file and a tap file (or two disk files) and drag items from the latter to the former, changing names etc.

I know this would not solve all the problems when putting tape based games on a disk, but it would indeed help :)

Just an idea
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Chema wrote:And now that it comes to mind, a tool for editing disk images (copying/adding/deleting/renaming files, for instance) would be incredible. Something such as a file explorer where I can open a disk file and a tap file (or two disk files) and drag items from the latter to the former, changing names etc.
Problem with this is that it would require to re-code the whole disk operating systems (Sedoric, Oric-Dos, FT-Dos...) to update the disk correctly. I was working on this for Sedoric with ODM, but the task was too important for my spare time, I wondered if it wouldn't have been easier to translate the actions into some kind of script that would run an emulator to do the transfers, renamings and so on (after all it's all already coded in the emulators ;) )
And Oric Explorer finally made everything ODM did (and ODM was still a bit buggy)
Yicker
Pilot Officer

Post by Yicker »

Hi,

Firstly I'd just like to say thank you to everyone for their support of Oric Explorer. I'll try and answer all the points raised by everyone on this thread.

1. Porting Oric Explorer to other platforms.
Oric Explorer has been written in C# using the .Net framework so porting to other platforms my not be that easy.

2. Picture/Font Editing
I plan on adding editors in a future version. Although a Font editor shouldn't be too difficult to implement I think a Picture editor will be somewhat more difficult particuly a HIRES screen editor but not impossible.

3. Editing Disk Images
Copying files between Disks and Tapes is definitely something I plan on adding sooner rather than later.

If people have any more suggestions then please let me know.

Cheers
Scott
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

There is a similar discussion in a Spanish retro-site (RetroWiki) where people are asking for what they think would be nice to have in a tool to manage Oric DSK files. Current tools lack a lot of functionality and are sometimes difficult to use.

They stated the following as interesting features:
-Creating a new DSK image with different sizes and geometries (useful if you are going to use real floppies on the Oric)
-Being able to edit its contents (store/remove files)
-Dump the DSK file to a real floppy
-Dump a real floppy to a DSK image (usable in the emulator)

There are other ideas, but those are the most important ones.

Symoon, why do you say that for adding/removing/editing filenames "it would require to re-code the whole disk operating systems (Sedoric, Oric-Dos, FT-Dos...) to update the disk correctly"? Couldn't it just read the disk contents, let the user make the changes he wants and then create a new disk with the changes transparently? We have tools that can create a SEDORIC disk with a set of files...
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

It'll be interesting to manage with the same tool the tapes (and that's easier)
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Chema wrote:Symoon, why do you say that for adding/removing/editing filenames "it would require to re-code the whole disk operating systems (Sedoric, Oric-Dos, FT-Dos...) to update the disk correctly"? Couldn't it just read the disk contents, let the user make the changes he wants and then create a new disk with the changes transparently?
Not impossible of course, but not exactly so easy! Ok, I was a bit pessimistic by saying "the whole" DOS ;)
But: some characters are forbidden for file names, that means controlling before accepting a name (which is done by the OS). Also, impossible to have two files with the same name (other control). And you need to update the FAT with the occupied sectors, and create entries in the catalog and the description sector and so on. All this being different, I guess, for each OS.
What I mean is that re-programming all this is some work (subject to mistakes or forgotten rules), and that if running an emulator in the background was easy, it could be a lazy solution ;)
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

Yicker wrote:1. Porting Oric Explorer to other platforms.
Oric Explorer has been written in C# using the .Net framework so porting to other platforms my not be that easy.
Do you use classes that are not present in Mono ?

If you don't it should be able to work directly.
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.