PICTCONV with IMG2ORIC

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

PICTCONV with IMG2ORIC

Post by barnsey123 »

@Dbug,

have started this new thread to seperate from the Moon Adventure

The new Pictconv (incorporating Img2Oric) has a couple of problems (on WinXp anyway):

When running in a batch file the very first image it processes ends with a windows error message : "Pictconv has experienced a serious problem and needs to close". When pressing OK to continue any subsequent files are processed OK.

Second, the processing is way too slow. The pipi.exe from PIMP is MUCH faster and gives at least equivalent results.

From the PIMP website:

"There used to be a program called img2oric to do this task, but The Pimp and libpipi’s pipi utility are now far more powerful."

I would agree with this. Can you incorporate PIMP with PictConv instead of Img2Oric?

On the plus side, using PictConv's -o4 option I'm able to produce a .s file. Using the data from .s I'm hoping to produce a short video. Later today hopefully.

-u works OK! :-)
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: PICTCONV with IMG2ORIC

Post by Dbug »

barnsey123 wrote:The new Pictconv (incorporating Img2Oric) has a couple of problems (on WinXp anyway):
When running in a batch file the very first image it processes ends with a windows error message : "Pictconv has experienced a serious problem and needs to close". When pressing OK to continue any subsequent files are processed OK.
Could you include the picture and the parameters you used so I can try to reproduce the issue?
barnsey123 wrote:Second, the processing is way too slow. The pipi.exe from PIMP is MUCH faster and gives at least equivalent results.
I need to find the source code/routine then, I suspect it's the same code but with depth 2 instead of 3 (That's the difference between 2 seconds vs 45 seconds).
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

Hi Dbug,

found a problem with a particular file, it just happened to be the first one tested in the makedata.bat batch file (manonmoon2.png)

On the svn under my directory is a dir called LunarCom (location for all pics/code etc)

Code: Select all

SET PIMP=%OSDK%\THEPIMP

:: MonoChrome
:: MAN ON MOON Mono
echo PIMPING MENONMOON

::%osdk%\BIN\pictconv -f6 pics\MANONMOON\MANONMOON2.PNG manonmoon.tap
::%osdk%\BIN\pictconv -f6 pics\MANONMOON\big-rock.png big-rock.tap

%PIMP%\bin\pipi.exe pics\MANONMOON\MANONMOON2.PNG -o manonmoon.tap
%PIMP%\bin\pipi.exe pics\MANONMOON\big-rock.png -o big-rock.tap
Pictconv crashes on the first file (manonmoon2.png) - it creates the tap OK but then bombs out.

The time difference between creating these two tap files is remarkable (using Img2oric (-f6) = 5-6 mins, pipi = a few seconds). See below for differences (almost identical).

Source for pipi:

http://caca.zoy.org/browser/libpipi/tru ... dec/oric.c

BTW, you were absolutely right about the depth. pipi is set to DEPTH=2 here. Maybe img2oric is set at 3. Maybe this could be controlled by a depth variable (pictconv -f6 --Depth 2 etc?)
top=img2oric<br />bottom = pipi
top=img2oric
bottom = pipi
img2oric-vs-pipi.png (16.45 KiB) Viewed 10652 times
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Found out the problem: The picture is 240x180, but the img2oric code processed the 200 lines...
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Ok, I updated the version in SVN.
Version 0.019
- Fixed a buffer overflow in the -f6 conversion mode happening when images are not 240x200
- Changed the depth mode from 3 to 2 to speed-up the conversion