New tools in the OSDK

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

Dbug
Site Admin

New tools in the OSDK

Post by Dbug »

Today I did a bit of update of the SVN version of the OSDK and added two of the tools I used for my latest demos which I realised were not available:
- Ym2Mym
- Makedisk

now a disclaimer: These two tools are super old, they compile with warnings all over the place, and for makedisk I'm not even sure this is the version that worked (the code is not from me), so since I had plenty of problems with it (it crashes when files are missing or read only, the syntax is complicated, etc...) I will try to fix it.

That will be the new base version for making floppy based games and demos, I will provide sample code on how to build a floppy and how to load data. That should help everybody. (And with Cumulus coming, we may expect more floppy based stuff in the pipeline)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Re: New tools in the OSDK

Post by ibisum »

Since a goal for Cumulus is going to be getting .DSK support up and running as fast as possible, I'm sure I'll be interested in helping/looking at the makedsk code to update it for more modern compilers/build-environments .. so thanks for the info Dbug!

By my point of view, it'd be nice to have a FUSE filesystem that can handle .DSK image mounts. ;)
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

Things are looking up dudes! :D
christian
Pilot Officer

Post by christian »

I'm writing a FUSE filesystem.

Here are its features:
- can read and write FTDOS disks and read Sedoric disks.
- can create new empty .dsk image
- If you copy a BASIC source file in the filesystem it is translated into BASIC token file and vice versa if you copy from the filesystem.
- can create a .tap file from a file in .dsk image or copy a .tap to a dsk image (extracting the file)
- can can display FTDOS help file (ASCII colors used)
- can display assembleur source from a binary file
- can transfert a file from a Sedoric dsk image to a FTDOS dsk image

I can add write capabilities to Sedoric dsk image but i'm more familiar with FTDOS.

This tool is written in Python.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

christian: sounds great - and for sure we would benefit from having the FUSE utility while debugging the Cumulus hardware, it'll make things a lot easier to inspect if we have access to this tool .. will you be sharing it with us under F/OSS terms, or can we somehow otherwise rely on it as a tool in the kit?
christian
Pilot Officer

Post by christian »

ibisum: I'm a CEO member and of course i can share this tool, although the code needs some cleaning.
g0blinish
Private

Post by g0blinish »

Sorry if my message offtopic, can't find thread.
Here is an issue with ym2mym:

tool stopped with message:
Only interleaved data supported.

As I see some .ym's has this format.
How to avoid issue?

.YM in attachment.
Attachments
einstein.zip
(9.1 KiB) Downloaded 531 times
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I'm going to take a look.

The original code did not handle that many formats in first place, I already had to extend it a couple of time for the selection of musics had in my slideshow.

I guess the relevant part of the documentation is:
16 4 DWORD Song attributes (see below)
(...)
Data block contents now values for 16 registers (14 AY registers plus 2 virtual registers
for Atari special effects). If bit 0 of field Song Attributes is set, data block are stored
in YM3-style order (interleaved). If this bit is reset, then data block consists first
16 bytes of first VBL, then next 16 bytes for second VBL and so on. In second case YM5 file
is compressed more badly.
So basically your song is probably stored as 0123456...0123456....0123456 instead of 0000....11111....2222....333 etc.

Should be easy to fix.

Can that wait the week-end :) ?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

So, I made a new version of the MYM converter, that now supports the interleave mode.

I will try to publish a new version of the OSDK later, but meanwhile you can find the version 1.5 of the converter attach to this message.
ym2mym.zip
Ym2Mym version 1.5
(50.54 KiB) Downloaded 565 times
Also, I modified my small demo test project to play the music.
g0blinish_music.zip
Complete replayer code for the Einstein music - requires Ym2Mym 1.5 or later.
(44.31 KiB) Downloaded 535 times
Have fun :)
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Had fun :D

Thank you !
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

I tested the dsk version - very good, I like it!
Cool color scheme and nice colored basic comments - absolute professional touch!
Just line 270 is not needed in 'main.bas' ;)
g0blinishmusic.jpg
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Sounds great on my Atmos! I was hoping for a bit more BASS in the demo track, though .. ;P
g0blinish
Private

Post by g0blinish »

great!:)

thank you!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

By the way, I reduced the size of the player source code, from 658 to 400 bytes.

Not that it matters a lot considering the size requirement for the buffers and music data, but that makes it leaner and slightly faster decompressing.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Dbug wrote:By the way, I reduced the size of the player source code, from 658 to 400 bytes.

Not that it matters a lot considering the size requirement for the buffers and music data, but that makes it leaner and slightly faster decompressing.
That could matter for some demos, 258Bytes IS 258Bytes, it's event more than a full page!