Are there any english Oric mags left?

Here is the place to discuss about the magazines (CEO Mag, OUM, Rhetoric, Theoric, Hebdogiciel, ... are all welcome here) and books.
Pengwin
Pilot Officer

Are there any english Oric mags left?

Post by Pengwin »

Title says it all really.

Is anyone still producing anything (printed or electronic) for the Oric?
Chema
Game master

Re: Are there any english Oric mags left?

Post by Chema »

CEO-mag used to publish some articles in english. I think it still does.

Appart from that, I doubt you'll find anything but occasional articles on retro magazines.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Where is Scotland are you from? There used to be a West Lothian User Group. (Long since folded.)
Oric User Monthly was the longest running UK magazine. There were a few others but they gradually slid by the wayside as people got tempted away by more modern computers. When OUM decided to close Rhetoric tried to carry on but with few contributing it didn't last.
There have been occassional mentions in Retrogamer which seems to show up in W H Smiths still. (I thought it too had gone!?)

CEO is all that is left. After a while it overtook OUM to be the longest running Oric magazine/ user group and it's gone on and on though even that doesn't print a paper copy anymore.

My article about Oric mags is here.
http://www.48katmos.freeuk.com/mags.htm
Pengwin
Pilot Officer

Post by Pengwin »

Steve M wrote:Where is Scotland are you from? There used to be a West Lothian User Group. (Long since folded.)
I'm currently in Elgin (north Scotland), but I'm originally from the south of England. I was in Devon when I first bought an Atmos.
Steve M wrote:Oric User Monthly was the longest running UK magazine. There were a few others but they gradually slid by the wayside as people got tempted away by more modern computers. When OUM decided to close Rhetoric tried to carry on but with few contributing it didn't last.
There have been occassional mentions in Retrogamer which seems to show up in W H Smiths still. (I thought it too had gone!?)

CEO is all that is left. After a while it overtook OUM to be the longest running Oric magazine/ user group and it's gone on and on though even that doesn't print a paper copy anymore.
I used to subscribe to OUM, many years ago. Met Dave Dick during that period too, really nice guy. Unfortunately, other things took precedence in my life and Oric kinda got left by the wayside for quite a while. I've been fairly active in theAtari 8-bit scene over the last 5 or 6 years, but am now concentrating most of my retro efforts on programming for both the A8 and Atmos.

Steve M wrote:My article about Oric mags is here.
http://www.48katmos.freeuk.com/mags.htm
I read this quite recently, I was just kind of hoping that another mag had slipped through your net ;-)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Steve M wrote:CEO is all that is left. After a while it overtook OUM to be the longest running Oric magazine/ user group and it's gone on and on though even that doesn't print a paper copy anymore
Yes it sill does a little :wink:. But on demand. Problem is that it costs a lot, and the club seeing its ressources dropping heavily, asked its subsribers to move to the electronic copy as much as they could.
Not sure how many paper copies Jean sends today, I'd say between 2 and 5...
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Pengwin wrote: I'm currently in Elgin (north Scotland), but I'm originally from the south of England. I was in Devon when I first bought an Atmos.
Ah, a bit far north. Peter the Spider used to live there but is in US now. I know there were a couple of Oric owners in Sterling and maybe one in Edinburgh.

I'd be interested to know if there was any generic 8-bit user group in the UK. The ones I used to know of are gone.

I've got an Atari 8-bit which I quite liked but once the Atari ST was out that was a great machine with far better abilities and had good programming options, though I never did much programming myself.

I suppose, if you like user groups, you could always start one yourself. There's a few here that's join :o)
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

I don't suppose Rhetoric has been scanned, available online?
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

No, I don't think so. We were full of enthusiasm and hope but it didn't really turn out as well as we'd hoped. We struggled to fill the pages and we got little correspondence that was necessary to make a dialogue between the magazine/group and its users/ readers.

I'd hoped to coax Jonathan into writing some articles about programming and his approach but his forte was doing it more than writing about it and workload that took him away from programming was maybe not a good thing. So Jonathan concentrated on programming though he did organise our online meetings/ discussions.

Rhetoric also printed coverage of the biggest row in Oric history which was all my fault and it won't benefit anyone to have that repeated. Some things are best left buried.