FORTH PROGRAMMING MANUAL - TANSOFT

Here is the place to discuss about the magazines (CEO Mag, OUM, Rhetoric, Theoric, Hebdogiciel, ... are all welcome here) and books.
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

FORTH PROGRAMMING MANUAL - TANSOFT

Post by barnsey123 »

I've just received a copy of this manual (in English) . It's only 75 pages and ring-bound. The "Appendixes" start at page 37!
If anyone's interested I'll scan it to PDF and upload it somewhere.

This is the original manual from TANSOFT and relates to the tape-based version of Forth they released in 1983.

It looks really interesting and seems a mixture of low-level assembler type instructions (it has it's own macro-assembler built in - but also a load of "WORDS" equivalent to their BASIC equivalents (e.g PING, ZAP, CIRCLE etc).

As always, there's never enough time to get into these things. :(
nobbysnuts
Pilot Officer

Post by nobbysnuts »

hope you enjoy couldnt find the tape to go with it as ive sold a few copies of fourth recently if I find tape will drop you a line.
ONLY DEAD FISH GO WITH THE FLOW
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Good !
I've the forth k7. It was one of my bad test in the eighties.

Wanted to code games in forth (quicker than basic) but finally, asm was the best.

If you can scan it, i'm interessed on it.
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

OK,

It will be sometime next week before I get access to my scanner.

I think the interesting thing is that the possibility arises of a program that could write it's own code ( a learning program that could solve difficult problems - could take months working randomly - but then, once solved, the routine could be SAVED as part of the language).

Regards
Barnsey
fixed1t
Private

Re: FORTH PROGRAMMING MANUAL - TANSOFT

Post by fixed1t »

Hi I've just been fixing an atmos obtained working ;-) from ebay and loaded oric-forth from a tap file. I you scanned the tansoft manual I'd really welcome a copy.

Cheers Malcolm
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

I've begun scanning it. No idea when I finish, it sometimes takes me months to finish a scan ;-)
There are at least 2 versions of this manual, the content is the same but one seems much more "home-made" than the other.
I also noticed there are sometimes duplicated pages in the ring-bound version (at least the content pages, pages 49-50 and 73-74). Is it the same for you Barnsey?
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

Symoon, my scanned copy looks OK (no dupes as far as I can see). If you pm me with your email address I'll send you a copy.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

I have several copies of both the manual and the tape. They are from unsold stock that Tansoft had. (Steve Hopps of Opelco bought up the remaining Tansoft tapes. Twilighte rescued them from Steve Hopps.)