Mistakes in books: l'Oric à Nu

Here is the place to discuss about the magazines (CEO Mag, OUM, Rhetoric, Theoric, Hebdogiciel, ... are all welcome here) and books.
Symoon
Archivist

Mistakes in books: l'Oric à Nu

Post by Symoon »

Page 270, tape routine "prendre la longueur d'un créneau", there's a mistake in the comments.
Unlike what's stated, C=1 for a short period on tape (bit 1), and C=0 for a long period on tape (bit 0).
The other routines are commented correctly, so the mistake was limitied to this page it seems.

Thanks to Fbarice who confirmed (4 years ago!) what I only suspected with my poor knowledge of ASM.
Go ahead and list here other mistakes that could be found in the book ;)
kamelito
Flying Officer

Re: Mistakes in books: l'Oric à Nu

Post by kamelito »

Symoon wrote:Page 270, tape routine "prendre la longueur d'un créneau", there's a mistake in the comments.
Unlike what's stated, C=1 for a short period on tape (bit 1), and C=0 for a long period on tape (bit 0).
The other routines are commented correctly, so the mistake was limitied to this page it seems.

Thanks to Fbarice who confirmed (4 years ago!) what I only suspected with my poor knowledge of ASM.
Go ahead and list here other mistakes that could be found in the book ;)
How about a scan of this book? :)
Kamel
/kml
skype pseudo : kamelitoloveless
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

kamelito wrote:How about a scan of this book? :)
Kamel
Don't ask me :( It's an old and neverending story.
I know at least 1 or 2 books were given away to people who offered to scan it and never did it.
Then someone else made it, but didn't want to release it without the original author's agreement. Which he never had.
So the book is scanned somewhere, but not released. I don't even recall if someone has a copy at the CEO (it was initially intended to be released by the club). That's not impossible, but I suspect they wouldn't release it against both the author's and scanner's agreements.
kamelito
Flying Officer

Post by kamelito »

That's a pity. I'll try to find the Author to have hs agreement.
Kamel
/kml
kamelito
Flying Officer

Post by kamelito »

kamelito wrote:That's a pity. I'll try to find the Author to have hs agreement.
Kamel
At least these guys scan :)

http://www.bombjack.org/commodore/books.htm
/kml
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Well there are many things there, too!
http://www.stratix.fr/base/Stratixlivres.html

But we are off-topic, Dbug is there a way to move this discussion about scanning to another topic? :oops:
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Deleting messages is easy, moving threads is not really something I wish to try considering how reliable the forum code is :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Another mistake:
- page 48, byte 67 is not listed. Used in ROM 1.0 to set fast/slow tape speed loading. Fast = 0, slow = any other value
- page 58, byte 24D is listed as "unused". This is wrong, used in ROM 1.1 to set fast/slow tape speed loading. Fast = 0, slow = any other value

These bytes are correctly described in the Oric Advanced User Guide.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

I'm pretty sure I saw another mistake between 1.0 and 1.1 ROM, I'll check tonight and post about it! (it was about casette loading BTW)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Another mistake page 270, tape routine "prendre la longueur d'un créneau", in the comment: a short period is less than 512 microseconds, and not 256 microseconds. There is no test with a length of 256 microseconds. Thanks to Fabrice and Dominique for correcting this one (CEO Mag issue 265, page 27).
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Not a big mistake, but not coherent with the schematics two page before, page 17, the ULA pinout is not complete:

pin 1 == Memory Addresse Multiplexer Selection (select between A0...7 and ULA_A0..A7 to the DRAM Address bus, it is use along the memory /RAS and /CAS signal)
pin 2 == ULA_A5
pin 3 == ULA_A4
pin 4 == ULA_A3
pin 40 == ULA_A6
pin 39 == ULA_A7
pin 38 == ULA_A0
pin 37 == ULA_A2
pin 36 == ULA_A1

The ULA_Ax is the address bus used by the ULA for either to set the A8..A15 6502 memory bus on the /RAS signal, or it's internal use when display video with both Row and Column access (/RAS, /CAS)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Rom 1.1, seems these 3 bytes are not described.
$E7AF 4C 70 D0 JMP $D070

(isolated, sends a "?SYNTAX ERROR" message. Described in the Oric Advanced User Guide)
retroric
Pilot Officer

Post by retroric »

Hello,

A couple of other mistakes I noted regarding tape I/O :
(these comments ONLY apply to ROM 1.1, I've never used routines from ROM 1.0 / Oric 1):

* p.59: oversight for flags at $25A and 25B (missing values):
- $25A (tape merge flag): I don't know the values, sorry...
- $25B (tape load/verify flag): $0 = LOAD, $56 = VERIFY

* p.61: descriptions for $2AD and $2AE are reversed, here are the correct assignments:
- $2AD is the AUTO loading flag (AUTO if different from 0)
- $2AE is the type header ($00 = BASIC, $80 = memory block, $40 = array)

SEE p. 275: $E7FE-$E802 code listing confirms purpose of $2AD
SEE p. 277: comment for $E887 confirms purpose of $2AE

* pp. 257-258: description for header values E0..E9 is a complete mess-up !!

- on p. 257 only E0..E8 are mentioned, while p.258 describes E0...E8, and an additional E9
- on p. 258, the values for E0..E9 are in the WRONG order. On top of that, there is actually NO "E9" header byte !!
"E9" is supposed to hold the "tape speed flag" (0=FAST, SLOW otherwise) but again this is WRONG there are ONLY 9
header bytes (E0..E8) ! Tape speed is set at $24D (oversight p. 58, as mentioned before), and MUST be specified if "slow"
with the ",S" argument to the CLOAD command (NO automatic tape speed detection from the header)
The E0..E8 header on tape is IMMEDIATELY followed by the NUL-terminated filename (0 to 16 characters max)

Here are the CORRECT meanings of E0..E8 with matching page 3 addresses described p. 61:

Code: Select all

page 3			tape header
addresses		values
see p.61		see pp. 257-258
 --------	------------------
$02B0			E0		: Header: Integer flag (only for ROM V1.1: STORE and RECALL Basic instructions)
$02AF			E1		: Header: String flag			
$02AE			E2		: Type ($00 = Basic, $80 = Memory block, $40 = Basic array
$02AD			E3		: 'AUTO' loading flag ($0 = FALSE, otherwise TRUE)
$02AC-2AB	  E4-E5	: Program/Block end address  Low-High (LL-HH) : $2AC=HH, $2AB=LL
$02AA-2A9	  E6-E7	: Program/block start address LL-HH ($2AA=HH, $2A9=LL)
$02A8			E8		: Unused

I meant to add this comment ages ago, but I forgot and was reminded just yesterday while chatting to Symoon at the CEO meetup.

Sorry for digging up this old topic, I'm sure pretty everyone already knows about this, but maybe this can help someone!

Cheers,
Laurent
flag_fr RetrOric, aka laurentd75 flag_uk
            GitHub - RetrOric
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

A mistake I've just found on page 24, Phi2 duty cycle is obviously wrong as it is display as 50% duty cycle.

Phi2 is a 33.333333% duty cycle (⅓) and should be 333.33333333 ns and not 500 for the high level period, and I'm not sure about the /MAP value given. As soon I find my microdisc I will check it. (and I found another strange issue with the Cumulus Rev1...)
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

If you are still looking for it in pdf, please have a look here :
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=325&p=18026#p18026

:wink: