Photocopies

Here is the place to discuss about the magazines (CEO Mag, OUM, Rhetoric, Theoric, Hebdogiciel, ... are all welcome here) and books.
Symoon
Archivist

Photocopies

Post by Symoon »

Hi, I found back photocopies of (almost all) the Service Manual that Steve reproduced and made available as a PDF years ago.
If anyone's interested let me know quickly, it goes to the bin tomorrow evening (I need room ;) )
ibisum
Wing Commander

Re: Photocopies

Post by ibisum »

I'd love to have them! :)

(PM sent.)
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Hello Ibisum

If you've answered simon too late, i've the pdf file.
Didier
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Thanks Didier - looks like I wasn't too late. :)

But I'm still on the lookout for a Telestrat Service Manual, in case such a thing exists and you know about it .. I'd love to get my Telestrat back in operating condition again ..
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Is it from my pages or another source?

I think there is a page or two missing from the modifications listed at the back. There's 63b but now 63 or 63a IIRC.

I have some similar pages that must have been sent out prior to the proper service manual.

Not sure if there would be a Telestrat service manual. Oric took their time producing the Atmos one.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

It's another source for sure, but doesn't have all the pages (starts at page 7).

I took a quick look but only found one minor difference (IIRC a revision date at the bottom of one page in the items list)
Steve I didn't understand what you think might be missing: what is this 63b thing? Do you have pages numbers ? ("listed at the back" with a PDF or photocopies doesn't help ;) )

EDIT: ok found it, it's a "modification number" at the top left of some pages. And I only have a "63b", too!
I'll be sending it to Ibisum, probably tomorrow of the day after, so if you have any other question please let me know quickly :)
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Interesting. Mine is the only one I've seen - never known of another copy, though they must have sent these out to numerous repair places. I guess most repair places put them in the bin.

So, please don't bin yours. Pass it on to someone - raffle it at a CEO meet or something - but don't bin it.

There's a line on the end of page 23 that doesn't finish- "The only other possibility is to use the 0V side of the". It'd be interesting to see if they corrected that bit.

Modifications are at the back as you seem to have found mine are numbered 52, 53, 56 and then 63b part of 63 - but no sheet for 63.

There's one service bulletin. If there's anything else included in yours, that would be interesting.

(There's a few typos in my online version due to OCR errors. I need to update it but my website is accessed via modem which I don't have working at the moment. )
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

I'll check ASAP.
Mine is not an original, really very old one-sided photocopies, pages are missing and I'm not sure they're in the right order.

Anyway, it will be sent to Ibisum, so not lost :)
I can make quick pictures of it if you want, and put them online somewhere for you.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Yes, please, put them online :)

It'd be interesting to check if there are differences with Steve's.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

I think mine may be photocopied. The text on the main part is pretty clear but the later sections with parts list etc, don't fit on the page properly.

It's all single sided. The use of double-line spacing is , I think, what is used on draught copies.

The other pages I have are copies in a similar format that list the basic functions of things like the expansion port.
Another document has "Commerical in Confidence" printed in red on each page. These list all the BASIC commands and describe how they work. I guess this is before they got the manual out and when they were being a bit cagey because they had no Microsoft license for the Oric.

Copying a lot of pages isn't fun. I've a shelf full of stuff but don't have the time to copy everything. It's a bit of a problem when you have something like a Service Manual. Lots of boring work to get it available.
Last edited by Steve M on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

It is a pity to have this kind of material and not being able to scan it. It may end up damaged or lost.

I have a photocopy machine at work which can do the scanning and converting to PDF from a (big) set of sheets, but for books.... that is another story. One can use a smartphone or tablet, there are nice scanning apps that use the camera and produce quite decent results, but in any case you have to go page after page, which is tedious for a big book.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

The PDF made years ago is very nicely done!
I'll try and take quick and dirty photos before falling asleep (probably won't finish tonight)
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

I've got a corrected version as a Word document - but I don't have Word anymore. Open Office produces the pages with borders that are too large. I can't figure out how to set the formatting on all pages - it just seems to do the page I'm on.

If someone has Word or knows how to work Open Office I could send them the document so it can be turned into a PDF.

It's a long time ago since I scanned the document. I had some nice OCR software from a Computer Magazine cover disk. I can't remember exactly how I did it but the Combination of Word and the scanning software produced a pretty accurate reproduction.

With a new computer and scanner I tried some similar software to scan the Atmos manual. It did a nice job but I had huge files after just 4 pages which would make it no good for emailing or uploading.
So now I tend to scan the pages in B&W - if possible and paste them in a document and then turn the document into a PDF.

Is there a better way ? I don't think I have a scanning app on my smartphone. It's a pretty basic phone so I'm not sure the camera would be good enough.

If I scanned any more documents, where could they go? It's difficult emailing things as mailboxes often reject large files. I think my website is full and I don't have access at the moment.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

A scan to pdf should be enough. No OCR is needed, in my opinion. B&W scans with fair resolution (unless a page has some images in it) should be OK.

There are many apps for scanning, but you need a smartphone with a camera. Some are free, some are not. I have iScanner in my iPad and now Office Lens (we have Office tools at work). BTW, if you send me your word file I can do whatever you want with it :)

For uploading, there are MANY options. From mega, to dropbox. Google-drive to OneDrive (for Microsoft Users). All those services let you share a document. And Dbug can always give you a password for the ftp here in DF so you can upload the file here :)

What sizes are we talking about?

I'd scan the docs (if they are not somewhat bounded in large books) for you, but I'm in Spain :(
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Scanning images is enough, but I must say a PDF that has been OCRed is much appreciated! (text search, smaller size...) But it's a huge work, with the risk of OCR mistakes.

Anyway, I took photos of the photocopies ( :lol: ), here they are:
http://mercenarysite.free.fr/oric/Oric_ ... ource2.zip
I'll keep it there about a week.

You'll see the owner began translating it into French. The crossed paragraphs are the ones he finished translating (on other pages, hand written, that I bined as Romuald had translated Steve's PDF).

I'm sending the photocopies to Ibisum, probably this evening.