Photocopies

Here is the place to discuss about the magazines (CEO Mag, OUM, Rhetoric, Theoric, Hebdogiciel, ... are all welcome here) and books.
Symoon
Archivist

Re: Photocopies

Post by Symoon »

Guys, I managed to scan it at work in two PDFs of excellent quality. Will put it online tonight.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Great!
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Yeah, the OCR software worked quite well back then but more recent programs werent' so simple. I think I used it because it produced smaller files and the scans were quite large. I can't remember if I was on broadband or dial-up back then but size was a big issue.

Yes OCR produces errors. There are a few in the service manual. I think Mike Brown spotted the errors, but they are probably where I miss-typed a correction. You can compare to these scans now :o)

It seems to be the same as far as I can tell. That's quite interesting in itself as it probably means there isn't missing pages from mine.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Ok, the new version is here:
http://mercenarysite.free.fr/oric/oric_ ... ource2.zip

I couldn't make a single PDF (the copier made an error when sending me the file) so I had to split it in two parts.
1st time I used a scanner with ADF, that's very fast and convenient :D

Paper version sent to Ibisum this evening.
Have fun :)
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Many thanks - good job.

So how do you get the scanned pdf size down? I just scanned 6 pages and got over 10Mb using Open Office. I tried PDF Creator and it produced a file of over 25Mb using the same pages.

I'm scanning at 300dpi - too much ???
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

No idea about the PDF I sent - they were 100% automatically made by the copier I used. I'm a PDF newbie, never produced much.
300dpi is big, but not that big. It's a good archive quality (though some will expect 600).

I suspect there is some compression factor somewhere, like in Jpeg format?
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Thanks Sy! I will be sure to make these available to anyone that needs them .. they're going in my much treasured collection ..
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

downloaded
thanks simon
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
tingo
Pilot Officer

Post by tingo »

FWIW, OCR is still useful for PDF files even if the OCR'ed text isn't corrected by a human afterwards. This mainly goes for PDF files put online somewhere. Search machines (like Google) will use the OCRed text when they add to their index, and then it is easier to locate such PDF files when you search for some text in them. :-)
Torfinn