Contiki?

This is the best place to discuss about the various Oric operating systems like Sedoric, Randos, FT-Dos, and others, as well as serious software, utilities, word processors, disassemblers, etc... that runs on oric computers.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Contiki?

Post by ibisum »

It occurred to me today that, now that I have a working Atmos and microdrive arrangement, it might be kind of fun to have another look at the old Contiki build for Oric/Atmos I have sitting on my disk from some years ago ..

Has anyone here done anything with Contiki on Atmos? From my glib view so far, it seems like it might offer an interesting new application for the machines .. particularly with the recent work done to get Serial I/O on Oric hardware working nicely .. could it be real that one day soon I can just download .TAP files to my floppy with the Atmos itself? ;)
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Contiki?

Post by Dbug »

I know there was some attempts at it, the problem was that there was no standard libraries for I/O for the Oric, neither for the OSDK or for CC65.
As long as you cannot compile C code that uses fopen/fclose, it's not really usable.

I believe that was the only issue.

If somebody manage to make a small standardized i/o module that works with the microdisc, that could work.

Now the question is: Should that be overlaid on top of Sedoric, or should that be a brand new os with new disk format and disk access routines?
Godzil
Squad Leader

Re: Contiki?

Post by Godzil »

This is a quite good question, Sedoric was not made with such goal in mind and some internal structure are quite complex and if I remember correctly does not fit well for classical ANSI C open/close/f* function, and we do not want to have lots of KB of code that will fat our project each time we use file I/O.

On the counter part, a "new OS" could be more appropriate for those functions, but will need a lots of development debugging & co, and such application using this OS won't be compatible with Sedoric floppy, and Sedoric will not be compatible with those floppy so it could be quite limited...