Jasmin ROM

This is the best place to discuss about the various Oric operating systems like Sedoric, Randos, FT-Dos, and others, as well as serious software, utilities, word processors, disassemblers, etc... that runs on oric computers.
Symoon
Archivist

Jasmin ROM

Post by Symoon »

Hi,

Is there a way to dump the Jasmin ROM, on a disk or on tape?
Godzil asked me to dump mine to check if there are different versions, and I'd prefer a way to do it without opening the drive and dumping the chip.

Thanks
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Jasmin ROM

Post by Dbug »

Good question.
I guess the Jasmin works more or less like the microdisc, with a double rom selection system, one to disable the system rom, and one to enable the Jasmin rom, then it's just a matter of copying the data in lower ram and then save it?
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Dbug wrote:Good question.
I guess the Jasmin works more or less like the microdisc, with a double rom selection system, one to disable the system rom, and one to enable the Jasmin rom, then it's just a matter of copying the data in lower ram and then save it?

This is the case, and from memory it's a low size ROM (but I can't remmember the size..)

Other solution is to dump it via a classic (E)PROM reader (I have one if needed)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Okay, had opened and dumped the ROM, but it was strictly similar to the file that was with Euphoric.
And now, I just found that the Jasmin manual explains how to access the overlay RAM. Oh well, read the docs first ;-)

EDIT: I was tired yesterday I guess... The overlay RAM is not the ROM of the controller card... So dumping it was a good idea after all ;)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

BTW does anyone know if the ROM of a Jasmin 2 is the same as a Jasmin 1?
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

I would be surprised if there was any updates to the Jasmin ROM. Unlike the Microdisc, the creators of the Jasmin (sensibly) kept the complexity of the ROM to an absolute minimum. It reads a boot sector and executes it. You can then load the real "ROM" into the overlay RAM, and it means you can fix bugs without having to replace ROM chips.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Xeron wrote:I would be surprised if there was any updates to the Jasmin ROM. Unlike the Microdisc, the creators of the Jasmin (sensibly) kept the complexity of the ROM to an absolute minimum. It reads a boot sector and executes it. You can then load the real "ROM" into the overlay RAM, and it means you can fix bugs without having to replace ROM chips.
The Microdisk ROM is also quite simple, the DOS part is nearly not used at all
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Ok thanks. Rather a hardware design change then, and maybe an OS change too (don't know how many FT-DOS versions were released and which one is the last).
christian
Pilot Officer

Post by christian »

I think the last version is FT-DOS 3.2, first versions were called T-DOS without the F (for Fast), at least T-DOS 2.26