Poll: Which is the storage system you do use ?

This is the best place to discuss about the various Oric operating systems like Sedoric, Randos, FT-Dos, and others, as well as serious software, utilities, word processors, disassemblers, etc... that runs on oric computers.

Select the storage system you prefer/use the most

Microdisc
30%
Telestrat
No votes
Jasmin
11%
Other - Please indicate type of drive/controler in the post.
4%
Tape or cd player - For those that do not disc drive
19%
Emulator - For those that do not have any Oric hardware
37%

Total votes: 27

Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Symoon wrote: 1. On my 4 Atmoses, only 2 booted with the disk drive, the others didn't react
Not even the message about tweaking RV1??? I heard about problems when plugging the microdisc with some orics, but 2 out of 4 is indeed worse than I expected. :(

For the hardware guys working on a new controller, it would be interesting to find out what goes on here and if it could be solved somehow (I guess by cleaning&amplifying bus signals at least).
Symoon wrote: 2. Absolutely none of my Atmoses was able to load a tape once the disk drive plugged. They loaded it fine without the disk drive, and yes I checked carefully I was using Sedoric 3 (that fixed a CLOAD bug in Sedoric).
3. It's only with an Oric-1 that I managed to load a tape with the Microdisc plugged.
You're talking about loading from tape with the microdisc plugged, if I understood correctly. Did the problem also happen if you load the atmos/oric1 rom in overlay ram?.

And what about loading something from the disk? Does that work? (Chema thinking about asking Symoon to test 1337... :twisted: )
Symoon wrote: Conclusion: although a fantastic tool, I'll stay away from disks on real hardware as much as I can. The daily use is really too painful and random - just like tapes some might say, but tapes work on all my Orics...
Frustrating indeed. Anyway I guess if that was a problem with the physicall 3" disck (being damaged or hard to read correctly), the drive (problems with heads or something), or the controller (I bet this was it).

Bad news. It is very difficult and expensive to find a microdisc nowadays, but fearing it just won't work at all with my old Oric, it is not even worth trying...
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Chema wrote:Not even the message about tweaking RV1??? I heard about problems when plugging the microdisc with some orics, but 2 out of 4 is indeed worse than I expected. :(
No,nothing, the Oric doesn't boot at all, even the disk drive engine doesn't move to try and read the disk.
I'm using an Oric power supply, I've heared they were not the best... But clearly I tried again and again on each Oric and so is the result: 50%.
Chema wrote: You're talking about loading from tape with the microdisc plugged, if I understood correctly. Did the problem also happen if you load the atmos/oric1 rom in overlay ram?.
You undertood perfectly ;)
I don't understand what you mean by loading a rom in overlay RAM. You mean trying to have a V1.0 in overlay to check if it's ROM related?
Chema wrote: And what about loading something from the disk? Does that work? (Chema thinking about asking Symoon to test 1337... :twisted: )
Yes it does, unless of course with faulty disks.
About 1337, it won't be easy. My PC to transfer 3" disks is in Paris, and my Orics and Microdisc are 130km away, where I only go once or twice a month to see family.
I'll try though, if I find a blank 3" disk (not so much left ;-)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Symoon wrote: You undertood perfectly ;)
I don't understand what you mean by loading a rom in overlay RAM. You mean trying to have a V1.0 in overlay to check if it's ROM related?
When booting sedoric 3, you can select to load v1.0 or v1.1 in overlay ram, which I understand that gets rid of most of sedoric code. Maybe from there you can issue a CLOAD and see if it works, instead of exitting to BASIC and CLOAD?

But yes, basically see if it is related to the ROM or the routines that load from tape.
Yes it does, unless of course with faulty disks.
About 1337, it won't be easy. My PC to transfer 3" disks is in Paris, and my Orics and Microdisc are 130km away, where I only go once or twice a month to see family.
I'll try though, if I find a blank 3" disk (not so much left ;-)
Oh, sorry, I forgot about that small detail you already told me.