How to move a file from one DSK to another

This is the best place to discuss about the various Oric operating systems like Sedoric, Randos, FT-Dos, and others, as well as serious software, utilities, word processors, disassemblers, etc... that runs on oric computers.
Brana
Flying Officer

How to move a file from one DSK to another

Post by Brana »

Hello!

I have one DSK file for Oric, and that one is bootable.

Now, I have another DSK file that contains TAP file on the DSK file itself.

The TAP file is on DIFFERENT KIND of DOS for Oric than the DOS on the FIRST DSK file.

I want to copy the desired TAP file from the SECOND DSK (non-bootable) disk to a FIRST (bootable) DSK file, but I cannot do that because the DOSes are NOT the same.

Is there any work-arround on this problem?

Because, when I load first DSK file (for ORIC, that is bootable) then the emulator can not see the other DSK file (and vice-versa!)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

What are the system disks you are using ?

Anyway, the easiest way seems to be a tape csave from the source disk, then cload and save again on the destination disk.
Brana
Flying Officer

Re:

Post by Brana »

I will check the system disk to give you an answer

But, the program is NOT in BASIC but in machine code, and when "loaded" can NOT be SAVED / interrupted...
highwayman
Flying Officer

Post by highwayman »

unless it loads into the stack-area it can.

even then, you can force it to load into a different address.
Yicker
Pilot Officer

Post by Yicker »

Hi Brana.

I might have a possible solution for you. My OricExplorer application allows you to drag a file from a Disk and drop it onto a Tape.

Then as Symoon suggested, you could CLOAD and save again on the destination disk.

At some point I hope to implement drag and drop between Disks. Anyway the application can be found on the Download page at http://oric.mrandmrsdavies.com

Hope this is of some help to you.
Scott
Dbug
Site Admin

Re:

Post by Dbug »

Brana wrote:I will check the system disk to give you an answer

But, the program is NOT in BASIC but in machine code, and when "loaded" can NOT be SAVED / interrupted...
You can change the parameters of a file anyway, and make sure that:
* it does not auto-execute
* loads where you want

After, it's trivial to save it to anothre floppy :)
Brana
Flying Officer

Re: system disks

Post by Brana »

Ok, the first system disk is Microdisk bootable OricDOS
When !DIR it shows:
0-OricDOS Directory Page 1
500 used, 2055 free, out of 2555

and second one is Sedoric bootable disk
When DIR, it shows:
Drive A V3 (MST) Sedoric V 3.006
0 sectors free, (D/42/17) 52 files

They are both virtual (for Euphoric)

the goal is to transfer a TAP file from SECOND (Sedoric) to FIRST ("Regular Oric Atmos) disk..

But, I can't get the Emulator to work with BOTH disks at the SAME time (when bootet Sedoric, it does not SEE the FIRST disk, and other-way-around: Oric(Atmos) cannot DIR the SEDORIC disk... ?
Chema
Game master

Re: system disks

Post by Chema »

Brana wrote: But, I can't get the Emulator to work with BOTH disks at the SAME time (when bootet Sedoric, it does not SEE the FIRST disk, and other-way-around: Oric(Atmos) cannot DIR the SEDORIC disk... ?
That's perfectly understandable, as the DOS is loaded by the first disk, so it won't recognize the second. Not sure if any OS can manage disks from other DOSes...

However what I think Brana is asking is for some kind of instruction list to follow. I wouldn't know how to do it either, without a manual for the disk where the file is.

I suppose there must be commands to inhibit auto-run and to load a program at a certain memory location (provided it is not large enough as to make this impossible or make returning to BASIC impossible). After it has been loaded a normal CSAVE "name", A#xxxx, E#yyyy where xxxx and yyyy are the starting and ending memory locations where the program resides will work for saving it on tape (an MSDOS tap file with Euphoric).

Or much better and easier: use Scott's utility to drag the file onto an MSDOS tap file. Pitty you cannot drag it back onto a disk :(

After this is done you need to boot with the Sedoric disk and issue a CLOAD "name",A#xxxx, which will load the tap file. Then save that memory area to disk with the corresponding instruction, putting back the old infos that indicate auto-run and location to load in memory (something similar to SAVE, but I don't know the syntax)...

Can anybody fill in the (numerous) gaps so Brana can just type the instructions and get it working?

Anyway this issued another problem and it is that there *should* be an easier way to do this..

Cheers
Yicker
Pilot Officer

Post by Yicker »

Hi all,

Well just to let you know, I've made some progress with writing to disk files. I've just about got the code working to save a file to an OricDOS disk although there's still some work to do to get it fully working.

Hopefully I'll have it done in the next few weeks, time permitting then I can move onto saving files to SedOric disks.

Cheers
Scott
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

That would be very practical :)