HowTo: C Programming on the Oric

Since we do not have native C compilers on the Oric, this forum will be mostly be used by people using CC65 or the OSDK. But any general C related post will be welcome !
Dbug
Site Admin

HowTo: C Programming on the Oric

Post by Dbug »

While doing some googling, I found out this:

"This series of articles is a C language tutorial, focused on using C efficiently on Oric computers"

So if you wish to learn C, you can learn with that, it's quite nicely written, and I feel a bit ashamed to never have found it earlier !
http://www.bedroomlan.org/~alexios/writing_c1.html

Well done Alexios :)

PS: Alexios Chouchoulas is one of the persons that participated to the creation of the first Oric C Compiler system, and a reasonable large part of the OSDK was made by him :)
kamelito
Flying Officer

Re: HowTo: C Programming on the Oric

Post by kamelito »

Dbug wrote:While doing some googling, I found out this:

"This series of articles is a C language tutorial, focused on using C efficiently on Oric computers"

So if you wish to learn C, you can learn with that, it's quite nicely written, and I feel a bit ashamed to never have found it earlier !
http://www.bedroomlan.org/~alexios/writing_c1.html

Well done Alexios :)

PS: Alexios Chouchoulas is one of the persons that participated to the creation of the first Oric C Compiler system, and a reasonable large part of the OSDK was made by him :)
Updated link :

http://www.bedroomlan.org/writing/oric-c-programming
/kml
skype pseudo : kamelitoloveless
Shaun_B
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Shaun_B »

Cool, thanks for the link.

Regards,

Shaun.
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Yes, i think it's one of the best links about programming in c on Oric system
:)
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Back in 1984, I remember having a lot of interest in learning C on my Oric. There was, once, some sort of onboard compiler for the Oric, but it required a Microdrive if I remember, and my remote location (middle of nowhere, Australia) meant it was near to impossible for me to access such technology .. so a few years later, I got a PC, a copy of Turbo C 1.0, and .. well, the rest is history.

So, a few years ago, when I discovered the Oric scene was a live and well, I was really, really amazed that someone had made a C tutorial specifically for the Oric. I was, however, disappointed to learn that it was all cross-compiling with the Oric SDK on Windows. Okay, I'm not a Windows user .. oh well.

But, does anyone remember the details about the onboard C compiler for Oric? If its out there, somehow .. well .. I finally got my Microdrive .. ;)
kamelito
Flying Officer

Post by kamelito »

Hi,

Congrats for your Microdisc, I don't remember any native C compiler for the Oric, I might did a little to see if it was advertised somewhere, though many wrote that it doesn't exist.
Kamelito
/kml
skype pseudo : kamelitoloveless
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Hmm.. maybe I was mistaken then. Still, it seems to me that the possibility to add another new language/dev environment to the Oric, given a working microdrive, is there. It could be a collection of tools, of course, for creating content.. "GREDIT.COM", "MINIVIM.COM", "ASSEMBLE.COM" and so on ..

Imagine a day when brand new titles for the Oric can be created entirely with the Oric and nothing else! :)