Textmode Sideways Scroller

Since we do not have native C compilers on the Oric, this forum will be mostly be used by people using CC65 or the OSDK. But any general C related post will be welcome !
Symoon
Archivist

Re: Textmode Sideways Scroller

Post by Symoon »

Hey, it looks very nice!
Chopper Attack? ;)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Ha, nice update! Its getting there .. and yeah, Symoon said, "Chopper Attack" .. basically all the mechanics are there, now you've got make a level editor. ;)
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

nice ... quite a choplifter clone
i want more .... more people, more aliens, killing mode, bomb mode, bomb h superpower ...
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

Nice program, for a text mode scroller I am surprised at how tolerable the 6 pixels scrolling step seems to be.

The game certainly reminds me of Konami's Scramble, however I am not hearing any sounds (I am using Clock Signal 2018-09-12) and the text which says "you hit something" is somewhat scrambled by weird characters, as if the character set had been overwritten.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

NekoNoNiaow wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:51 am Nice program, for a text mode scroller I am surprised at how tolerable the 6 pixels scrolling step seems to be.
Yeah, text mode scroll is not that bad. I took that path in Oricium. But let's be honest, 6 pixel scrolling will always look a little bumpy. Maybe using dynamic character redefinition and some tricks with graphics may offer alternative and better solutions... I don't know..
Badger
Pilot Officer

Post by Badger »

This is still under development, well more of a re-write to make it more modular as it was becoming un-wieldy.

I have been taking on board the comments here and some are being worked on right away (improved scrolling for example), soundtrack player of some kind and probably the most important, the actual gameplay itself with a story and a plot and an objective.

I'm just kinda slow :)
flag_uk Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic.
NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

Chema wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:52 am Yeah, text mode scroll is not that bad. I took that path in Oricium. But let's be honest, 6 pixel scrolling will always look a little bumpy. Maybe using dynamic character redefinition and some tricks with graphics may offer alternative and better solutions... I don't know..
The thread started by Peacer lists a few ways to achieve pixel precise scrolling if the graphics are made with some (heavy) constraints in mind. ;) (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=958&hilit=scrolling&start=30)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Yep, that was it, I think :)

Thanks!
Badger
Pilot Officer

Post by Badger »

If anyone is interested here is an update.

Improved graphics.
Soundtrack player added.
The beginning of a storyline for this and future levels.

Still a lot of bugs to iron out, but getting there slowly. I have ideas for the next 2 or 3 levels maybe more.

The redefine chars scrolling method was tried but I didnt quite get there with this version. The way the mountains are constructed the patteren of characters is known : - always a clear block before an up diagonal, always a solid block after an up, always a solid block before a down etc etc

I tried something like chr 33 = clear, chr 34= solid after up, chr 35 = solid before down, chr 36 = down
using a asm routine to rotate the bits of each character 1 place left, set bits 7 & 8 back to original and copy bit 6 from the next character into bit 1.
On the 6th scroll , you scroll every character left and reset the definition back to the starting point.

I failed miserably :D

Probably a little complex for me at the moment, but I will crack it.

Heres the update :-
ORASSI.tap
(29.74 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
P.S Dont try to find the landing pad, it hasnt been built yet.

P.P.S Bugs to iron out :-
Better collision detection.
Some cleanup work on attributes.
Enemies need a bit more randomness.

P.P.P.S The music is from one of my all time favourite arcade games. No prizes, but hopefully someone will know it :D

P.P.P.P.S Thanks to everyone for the help and motivation.

Ian
flag_uk Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Cool! The loading screen set the expectations high! :)