StratoCumulus Project

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Re: StratoCumulus Project

Post by ibisum »

Just FYI, I have a cumulus board, so I can parcipate with testing! :)
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

JonB wrote:Shugart is useful only if the Oric software is distributed in that form. It may have been previously, but isn't it true that it's all downloadable, because nowadays we share via te Internet?

In which case, don't worry about it if it would lead to delays and additional cost / complexity. I'll happily buy an SD card only version (like te joystick idea though..).

Can I presume it might be compatible with existing software for file access? What I want is some assembler with source saved / loaded from the SD card.. And BASIC programs too. Of course..
Having a shugart interface could help to backup non commercial floppy content, anyway on a full fledge card it will only take the space of the connector, and don't need special hardware, it will only need special software, so even if it is not used, it could be present.

For the first goal of this project, and it is what the Cumulus do, is to "fool" the oric and software to think they use a real microdisk, but it is not :)
JonB
Officer Cadet

Post by JonB »

So, micro disk emulation with Sedoric?

I'll have one!
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Yes of course :)

Here is the current list of things to the ultimate StratoCumulus version:

- Make it compatible with both Microdisk and Jasmin floppy controller
- Beeing able to use the overlay ram without the need of a DOS loaded
- Maybe make the overlay paginable (using some SRAM on the extension board, and paginate between the ROM, the internal RAM, and the different SRAM pages)
- Allowing "custom ROM" by using the overlay mecanism without the need to resocket the internal ROM
- Maybe add some function like for the HxC "harddisk mode" and "remote mode" to be able to select a floppy directly from the Oric without using the cumulus buttons/screen
- Add support for the VSYNC "hack"
- Add support for DE-9 joysticks (sega/atari joystick) (using standard oric joystick protocol throught printer port)
- Add support for modern printers
- Add a RGB/Scart connector with power for the SCART
- Add VGA capable output (could be fun or not :D (and Maybe some bonus for the VGA output, but only the VGA output)
- Add "tape" emulation, at least play, but save should be fun too
- All the board configuration will be doable from a small LCD+button like the original cumulus, AND with 3 I/O register directly from the Oric software.

Some parts are independents and will be at first separate project, but ultimately they could be on one final board
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Another thing I could provide on the StratoCumulus project is some sort of hardware "skin":

I don't want to make this project a rigid device and want to make it the most versatile possible, to allow this, I may provide a way to describe thought a file how the hardware should react, all of this of course without the need to rebuild the firmware, nor update it.

The "skin" file should describe the registers that it support, the ROM file that should be loaded, how the SRAM overlay could be used etc..

Default provided skins will be Microdisk, Jasmin, and maybe Telestrat (but I will need more documentation on this one)

The description file must to be simple, it may need to use a simple scripting language to describe the more complex tasks (like linking microdisk register to the floppy register, or overlay switch) etc..

Please tell me what you think about this, if you think you will use such a possibility, how and what you may expect from it.

--

Expect for the final version of the StratoCumulus project to provide fun extensions to the Oric, I may change my intention of video extending to be supported also on the RGB output of the StratoCumulus, that will of course use the same DIN (+ central power pin) as on the Oric itself.

I may also add a buffered extension port, maybe more than one with a possibility to select between them, another idea someone told me is to add a "real" floppy port.

Please feel free to make any comment on this project. I really want to make it the ultimate Oric Extention hardware and I'm listening to any idea and evaluate if they are realist or not.
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

I would buy one as well.

All this sounds very cool.
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

It really sound good.
Whatever i don't understand all the difficulties to solve.

I'll buy it. :P
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
musepat
2nd Star Corporal

Post by musepat »

Now, I use again my Oric after a break of 20 years !

So, I'm very interested too.
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

Just my 2 cents but maybe instead of proposing a SD Card reader you could propose a USB port instead.
Allowing to connect: USB sticks, USB drives as well as SD cards USB readers...

I will buy this for my Amiga:
http://cortexamigafloppydrive.wordpress.com/

Adding to it a disk controller compatible both with the GOTEK drive and the Oric would maybe simplify this.
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.