RIP Twilighte

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
JamesD
Flight Lieutenant

Re: RIP Twilighte

Post by JamesD »

:(
RIP Jonathan.
vrozos
Officer Cadet

Post by vrozos »

Here is one of his last letters where he gives a short flashback on his achievements in Oric field and then a short note about the dangerous treatment he was about to have.

http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopi ... 8&start=30

What a brave man. I imagine you riding your Pegasus now my friend.

V.
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

Since 2008, i was thinking he could win this fight.

In august 2012, he said me that everybody have to die when he announced he had almost 6 months to live. i did not accepted this, and i still kept in mind he'll be ok soon.

At the beginning of march, when we were talking, he felt that it was the end. It still was not the end for me.

at the end of march, i realize it was the end.

Jonathan was my confident when i was in Paris.

I can't count the number of times, i cried since august about Jonathan. He'll never know that.
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

I will be at his funeral. I will come from the south of France to say good bye for ever.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Please send our condolences to the family. The whole Oric community will be there in spirit.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I'm very sad to hear of Jonathans' passing.

I have been a fan of Twilighte since the very second I saw his splash, some decades away.

I only ever knew him in spirit, as a person on the other end of the world who had a mad passion for creative expression and survival of the Oric scene, and I can say with great personal confidence that his efforts to extend the boundaries of technical imagination as applied to our beloved, old near-worthless machines, has rewarded us all greatly, many times over. He taught not just smart lessons, but very fun ones too. Twilighte, and his intelligent gang - themselves no doubt attracted to the brilliance, finally defeated color-clash. Twilighte twisted the problem, bent it to his will, turned the Oric-1 world upside down and still now allows us all to rejoice in just what the PING our machines, in the 21st century, are capable of doing.

His legacy will live on. I still see him as the big, huge spirit, in the wire. I will sadly miss him greatly though, as I journey through the things he left behind.

Heres' to your repo, Twilighte! It shall live on!
Yicker
Pilot Officer

Post by Yicker »

Like others, I didn't know Jonathan personally but have used alot of the software he produced over the years.

RIP :-(
xxl
Private

Post by xxl »

"Wczoraj, po dziesięcioletnim zmaganiu się z uciążliwą chorobą, odszedł Jonathan "Twilighte" Bristow (1968-2013)"

http://atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?sub ... ct=nowinki

R.I.P. Twilighte
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

:( I am really so sad for Jonathan's lost as everybody here does.. I want to express my feelings but firstly sorry for my english..

He was one of my first contacts from Internet in late 1990's.

The first word I wrote on yahoo was "Oric" of course in 1996. In Turkey, I did not have luck to reach Oric related things before I met with internet. Finding Oric web sites with people still concerning about Oric was like a miracle for me at that time. I didn't know the concept of "emulator" program and downloading a 350 kilobytes of euphoric took more than 3 hours and it was still a miracle to run Oric on my PC where that was one of my happiest moment in my life. I said to myself "whoaa a diskful of program comes from France to Turkey in less than a quarter day ! Internet is a miracle !!!!"

After that, I contact with many fellow oricians including Dave Dick who introduced me with OUM magazine and many of you still writing here. Jonathan was one of them.

We organised mIRC meetings in every friday night on internet. Other than that, Jon and I talked hours and hours thru ICQ at those times.

As my native language is not english, I had problems communication and it was even worse than today in those years. But this never was a real problem and we share many information about Oric and besides other things in our personal lifes .

He was always a good friend for me living in far away land and without seeing each other in reality. This continued in years thru facebook etc and I always admired his miracilous works on Oric where he streched all the limits of it much more than I could imagine in 80's.

I know there are many talented and succesful Oric coders and developers among us but please forgive me, Jonathan is irreplaceable man and thus -according to me- his enthusiasm and contribution on Oric is more than sum of us all.

I learned many things from him. He kept me working on Oric after nearly 30 years and show everyone that Oric is a powerfull and miracilous machine which can do anything more than we could imagine.

Oric was dead when the company is bankrupted in 1987 once. Loss of Jon is second saddest moment in Oric history after that.

He was so young to go.. and He has many more excellent games to create for the Oric, helping us to keep Oric alive ... Now Oric lost his biggest and most talented child to go on..

Rest in Peace Jon !!!

Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

This was posted on Jonathan's Facebook page few minutes ago:
Thank you all for your lovely messages of memories and love for Jonathan: we are taking great comfort from them all.

Jonathan’s service will be held at West Street cemetery chapel, Dunstable, LU6 1PD on Thursday 6th June at 10:00a.m. Followed by a reception at the Priory House Tea Rooms, 33 High Street South, LU6 3LZ. Everyone welcome to both the service and the reception.

Family flowers only, but we are collecting for the charitable hospice that looked after Jonathan. Donations through White Dove Funerals, 50 High Street South, Dunstable, Bedfordshire, LU6 3HD.

Please can you send me a message via Jonathan’s Facebook if you will be attending so that we can work out the numbers for catering.
Some people have expressed the wish to send condolence cards, the address for this is: 1 Greenlee, Wilnecote, Tamworth, Staffordshire, B77 4BT.
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

I read the news on FB with a heavy heart. I only met Jon once or twice, at the Aylesbury meetings. I found Jonathan terribly intimidating back then, purely because he was already doing things with an Oric that I had been trying to achieve for many years. I was, even more so now, in awe of Jonathan's programming abilities.

I chatted more to Jon over the last few months than I did in the years before. I'm glad I had chance to tell Jon how much respect I have for him.

The posts in this thread have been emotional to read. RIP, Jon. You inspired me.
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

We are pixels dust, bye bye Jonathan

10 CLS
20 GOTO HEAVEN
30 END
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Jede, Symoon and I will be attending the service on Thursday.

We were asked by Matthew (Jonathan's brother) if we would like to say some words on "behalf of the Oric community". I'm not quite sure we are representative of the Oric community, if only because Steve could say a lot more on the British side of Jonathan's life (Rhetoric and UK meetings). So the best I could do really is to talk about Jonathan in regard to his relations with CEO, demoscene, irc, forums, game programming, his travels to parties and friends places, etc...

As Symon told me, probably most people present at the service will have no particular knowledge about computers, so avoiding to bore them down with ultra geek references may not be a good idea, but still this gives us opportunities to outline the character of the individual person.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I'm glad to hear this. You will be excellent representatives of the community. My spirit will be there with you.
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

Dbug wrote:Jede, Symoon and I will be attending the service on Thursday.

We were asked by Matthew (Jonathan's brother) if we would like to say some words on "behalf of the Oric community". I'm not quite sure we are representative of the Oric community, if only because Steve could say a lot more on the British side of Jonathan's life (Rhetoric and UK meetings). So the best I could do really is to talk about Jonathan in regard to his relations with CEO, demoscene, irc, forums, game programming, his travels to parties and friends places, etc...

As Symon told me, probably most people present at the service will have no particular knowledge about computers, so avoiding to bore them down with ultra geek references may not be a good idea, but still this gives us opportunities to outline the character of the individual person.
I did wonder about asking the group about sending an 'Oric' wreath of flowers, ie. Jon's name with the Oric red line through it, but then I think I read something on FB from Jon's sister about family flowers only. I can't be there for the funeral, but I would be very happy to contribute to something.