A BBC on steroid :)

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
kamelito
Flying Officer

A BBC on steroid :)

Post by kamelito »

/kml
skype pseudo : kamelitoloveless
carlsson
Pilot Officer

Post by carlsson »

Woo. However, I just got my BBC and since I've never considered getting a SuperCPU for my C64 (which I've used for many more years), I doubt I would invest in an ARM upgrade on the BBC neither. But interesting none the less.
Anders Carlsson
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

good link.
I found this most amusing...

"As to whether he found the task of designing the electronics tricky, he added: "Not especially difficult, the worst point is where the 6502 is sitting looking at the ARM expecting something to happen and the ARM is sitting looking back at the 6502 expecting something to happen and they just deadlock."

Not sure why you'd want to use this hardware. To me it goes back to the old argument about when does a Computer become something other than its original.
For example, if the Oric was expanded with a similar coprocessor, would it still be an Oric even if it was backward compatable?
If everyone wants a more powerful Oric then perhaps they should choose the C-ONE all purpose machine?
http://c64upgra.de/c-one/
carlsson
Pilot Officer

Post by carlsson »

I read on the BBC mailing list that one has to very careful when updating the firmware on that co-processor solution. If you make a single mistake, you may fry both the ARM and the computer motherboard. :shock:

You know of the C64 SuperCPU, and Ruud has experimented with fitting a 65816 to VIC-20, mainly to get a larger addressing range since increasing speed is more tricky in respect of supporting chips.

http://www.baltissen.org/htm/hardware.htm
Anders Carlsson