Welcome to forum.defence-force.org 2.0

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to forum.defence-force.org 2.0

Post by Dbug »

Symoon wrote:Someone I know tried to open an account yesterday, but it seems it didn't work.
Don't have much more details but he's no rookie, so maybe something's wrong while subscribing?
Yesterday there was more than 15 user creations, and I deleted them all because there was no way I could find out if it was a spambot or a real person.
Please ask the person to retry, things should work fine now :)

If not, tell the person to send me a mail with the login detail and I will check if it's lost somewhere in the system.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Ok, thanks, he told me he'll try again. Just to let you know: at his 1st attempt, hitting the "register" button lead him to an error page. Maybe he tried while you were still migrating!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

That's a possibility :)

That was not the good day to register :D
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I came to check in after a little hiatus, and must admit I sort of was put off at first by the new forum style, but its grown on me and I can see the benefit.

Well done!
highwayman
Flying Officer

Post by highwayman »

looks good - nice colours.
:mrgreen:
Antiriad2097
Flying Officer

Post by Antiriad2097 »

They've been discussing Tapatalk on the Retro Gamer forum:
http://www.tapatalk.com/faq.php

Its a free plugin you can enable on the forum that allows browsing on mobile devices without all the scrolling and zooming that's currently required.

Having tried the new forum on my iPhone, it could be useful.
SyntaxError
Private

Post by SyntaxError »

Soon 30 years of life for ORIC, thanks to every fan for all you did
Spocky
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Spocky »

Hello everyone!
First post on this forum for me. I am a French guy who begin to write on my father's Oric-1 yesterday after 20 years into a box. So now, I'm here to create some hardware for it and take pleasure on it :D
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Spocky wrote:Hello everyone!
First post on this forum for me. I am a French guy who begin to write on my father's Oric-1 yesterday after 20 years into a box. So now, I'm here to create some hardware for it and take pleasure on it :D
Welcome :)

What kind of hardware are you thinking of creating?
Spocky
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Spocky »

First of all, I need something to save programs. I have some tape but nothing to read it. So what I found is the cumulus system which can be very useful.

For the second step, I don't really know. But if it's possible, something like a pad to make music with the oric using something like a program I've founded into a basic book for oric my father have.

And the third step, I will see after :mrgreen:
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Hi and welcome! :)

With regards to synthesis I have always wanted to put the MIDI port of the Telestrat to some use, and then use the Telestrat as a central host for multiple ATMOS and Oric-1 machines, singing in harmony over some common bus, with all the envelope generators and so on being independently programmable. So for me the idea for how to accomplish this Oric cacaphony would be with something like a Telestrat server for the other machines, and in all honesty, as a networking protocol for such circumstances, MIDI is a pretty nice way to do it. As in, MIDI to the rescue: Orics can be networked up with it! We just need to build a usable MIDI interface and a boot-loader/OS for handling such things with Oric-1 hardware. (small detail, 8-*)

If the Oric-1 had a simple MIDI loader, and simple MIDI hardware, we could put them all together on a network and the Telestrat/server could send not only MIDI CC data, but would also allow remote loading of code (SYSEX) and so on. Put ATMOS in boot-over-MIDI mode, spit the file over, oila: Oric is in the 21st Century of networking-being-the-computer, finally. ;) Heck, we could even do MIDI-DOS whereby the Telestrat acts as a real old-school floppy-disk server for up to 200's of ATMOS/Oric-1 machines.

This was the idea, anyway, and at least its the reason why now I have the Telestrat, ATMOS, and Oric-1 hardware now, as well as a disk drive too, finally. MIDI, not so ready yet, at least on the Oric-1 side. (Telestrat too .. is the MIDI port usable? A mystery yet to be explored..)

EDIT: for storage, use an MP3 player/recorder - these can be cheap if you have a 'big electronics' place near you, I had one for $20 rigged up to my Oric-1 .. easy to set up and nice way to load things.
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

Welcome ! :D
Spocky
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Spocky »

@ Kenneth: Thanks for it :D

@ ibisum: You have think a lot to my second idea as I see. What I think, is less difficult to make. It's only a new keyboard in fact and use my oric only in mono mode.
I haven't understand what you say about the MP3 player/recorder. How can I connect it to the Oric? I've nothing to read tapes on my Oric.
Yicker
Pilot Officer

Post by Yicker »

Any further update on getting this forum enabled for Tapatalk?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Yicker wrote:Any further update on getting this forum enabled for Tapatalk?
Nope, because I totally forgot about it.