Forum problems, Christmas, New Year eve, all that

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Forum problems, Christmas, New Year eve, all that

Post by Dbug »

I noticed that few weeks ago I was not receiving any notification of messages being answered.

I'm now leaving for the Christmas break, going into the family, etc... but when I'm back I'm going to try to solve this problem.

Now something to consider is that I should probably migrate to another forum codebase, either a new version of phpBB or some other forum. The reason is that the version I'm using is old, unmaintained, and cannot work well with PHP5 - so I was not able to upgrade my host plan with the new version of PHP which in turn causes plenty of problems.

If you can make suggestions for the upgrades (and how to import the existing content) would be nice. Ideally being to import the user accounts would be nice too :)

Thanks everybody, and have a great winter break :)
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

http://www.phpbb.com/community/docs/INS ... ml#convert
Section 5.

Dbug, the above link details the upgrade. Your using phpbb2.0.x and wish to convert to phpbb3.0.x whcih supports PHP 5 (v3 includes a convert option allowing a seamless(?) upgrade from 2 to 3 saving all data (users/passwords etc))

In essence
1. backup the files and database
2. Install phpbb 3.0.x in a NEW LOCATION on the server
3. Run the convert utility

Not sure if this meets your needs but it looks quite straightforward...YMMV
The beauty of this process is that it does not CHANGE the old installation (so of it doesn't work, you just fall back to the old install)