An article including Oric

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Symoon
Archivist

An article including Oric

Post by Symoon »

barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Excellent Article

Post by barnsey123 »

This shows EXACTLY what's wrong with UK Education - trying to fill kids minds with FACTS and set them loose at 16 expecting them to be productive members of society. They don't LEARN anything, they grow up expecting to be spoonfed the rest of their lives (a sweeping generalization I know, but it's mostly true).
There's LOADS of intelligent kids and many of them end up bored stiff at school (there's nothing for them to DO, it's all laid on). Couple this boredom with the teenage rebelious years and you get a recipe for disaster. What a waste!
All teachers (especially maths teachers) should read Polya's "How to Solve It". I picked a copy up recently whilst looking for ideas for my Viking Chess game. I was hoping that I could express certain game problems in a geometric way and let pythagoras do the rest (anything rather than layers of dull array traversal!)...It didn't work, but I learned LOADS and the book makes you think in different ways which has benefitted the game anyway - still unfinshed though (both the book and the game). :D
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I had the same experience in France, its not only in UK :)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Very nice article, very nice oric reference (I felt the same when I received mine, and also was hooked on forever) and very very true about the state of current education.

Of course in Spain is the same, if not even worse. One of the problems I face everyday is that students at the university simply can't think, because they were never trained to do it. And worse than that is they don't even try. They are used to be given recipies to solve problems and want nothing else.

What a waste of talent indeed!
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

Learning in school, it's like a mask: you look at the problem with zones becoming invisible to our brain, it is less easy to imagine solutions to unexpected problems. The programming on Oric has allowed me to develop my own reasoning.
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Good tips !
Thanks for the link
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga