Desperately need a Microdrive!

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Desperately need a Microdrive!

Post by ibisum »

I'm just posting this here as a general appeal to anyone who has a Microdrive to sell to contact me personally before putting in on EBay ..

I'm developing a hardware "plug and play" replacement for the Microdrives, so that the Oric-1/Atmos machines can mount .DSK images stored on Micro-SD drives. I've already got the hardware I need for this project in the form of Micro-SD/controller interfacing, but in order to adequately fulfill my plug and play requirement, I need a real Microdrive to test against, and for verification purposes.

So if anyone at all has a Microdrive they can sell me, please contact me. I'll even take non-working drives off your hands, since I would be very happy to repair them as well.

Thanks!
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I really hope you can get one, as they are quite rare. I am sorry I don't have one (not even a working atmos right now), as I would at least lend it to you so you can make your tests.

We really need a replacement using modern data storage, so I hope you succeed in your project.

P.S. How is it going?
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I've got my hardware rigged up with Arduino mega, SD reader, and display, and I've gotten as far as getting output on the display and reading/writing with the disk by the Mega .. next up will be to configure the data i/o on the Mega to get some sort of status display happening, so I have a little 'oscilloscope' mode for the rig that will show me what the oric is doing on its data lines.

I've had to really learn Oric DOS (Sedoric), though! Since I never had a Microdisc I've been doing some familiarization with Oricutron to try to get a better understanding for how I can easily test things - looks like I can just write some very simple BASIC test apps that will exercise the port and so on .. This is a fair bit of design/analysis work for me so far, and not much progress to report on that front other than that I'm personally becoming familiar with an aspect of Oric I never had a chance to deal with personally before .. took me a couple hours to figure out that to change the disk from A to B the command was simple "B-" .. this point is *not* obvious in the Sedoric docs, alas! :)

Also been pouring through the Sedoric disassembly to try to understand the details and form some sort of requirements for how I should respond to various cases with i/o ready and so on.

As soon as I get some sort of communication actually occurring - my data-line display showing the Oric port status, for example, I'll update you guys .. but in the meantime I really need to find a Microdrive as well, concurrently to the project.

EDIT: BTW, Chema, if you need an Atmos I have a spare one .. PM me.
kamelito
Flying Officer

Re: Desperately need a Microdrive!

Post by kamelito »

I has one without the case but I gave it to Fabrice years ago, I don't événement know if it was Still working, sorry.

Kml
ibisum wrote:I'm just posting this here as a general appeal to anyone who has a Microdrive to sell to contact me personally before putting in on EBay ..

I'm developing a hardware "plug and play" replacement for the Microdrives, so that the Oric-1/Atmos machines can mount .DSK images stored on Micro-SD drives. I've already got the hardware I need for this project in the form of Micro-SD/controller interfacing, but in order to adequately fulfill my plug and play requirement, I need a real Microdrive to test against, and for verification purposes.

So if anyone at all has a Microdrive they can sell me, please contact me. I'll even take non-working drives off your hands, since I would be very happy to repair them as well.

Thanks!
Last edited by kamelito on Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/kml
skype pseudo : kamelitoloveless
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

It seems like they're all being hoarded by collectors in France! D'oh!!! :(

Anyway you guys, keep your eyes out!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I would suggest contact the CEO, they have a certain number of Microdisc/Cumana components (motherboards, controllers, schematics) so possibly could be what you are looking for.

You may also want to take a look at this thread:
http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopic.php?t=19

Contains documentation and photos on how to build your own!