www.oric.org - The Top Games

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
maximus
Flying Officer

www.oric.org - The Top Games

Post by maximus »

I really never understood how it works
but i'm sure it's not the correct ranking of games
today the top ten is :

1 - TRANSAT ONE
2 - KROKATILE WALTZ
3 - DURENDAL
4 - HERO ZERO
5 - QUILL, THE
6 - FER D'AMNUKOR, LE
7 - WARLORD
8 - PULSOIDS
9 - ZORGON'S REVENGE
10 - SUPER METEORS (LES)

DEFENCE FORCE : 47th position
XENON-1 : 51st :shock:
HOBBIT: 93 !

so curious, what is the meaning of this ranking method ?

:?:
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Do not mix up ceo and oric.org.
"oric.org" is a portal, and provide some services to ceo (like hosting the magazines, etc...).

The ratings on "oric.org" are purely based on the vote of people.

There are two "tops". There is a the top overall and the top.

"top overall" just take into consideration the "overall" value when voting.
"top" takes into consideration the other parameters (sound, audio, gameplay, etc...)

Justification for the overall rating, is that some games or applications are very very good, and should appear high in the charts, despite the fact they have no graphics (text adventure game), or no sound, or both (a good Sudoku game would not be ranking very high based on purely stats based criteria).

Does it makes sense ?

NOw, the reason why it is all fucked up is actually quite simple: most people don't vote, and there is no balancing, or no "minimum limit" before the vote is taken into consideration. So if you pickup one game at random, and set "5", it is most probably in the top.

Now well, if other people take the time to give their own votes on these top 10 games, plus the games they like, in the end you will get something that is more normal.

Of course please, do not vote 0 just because you want to get a game down :p

Now let's check the rattings of these games:

Transat One:

elm 5 3 5 5
lobo 5 3 5 5
Tintin 4 3 5 5

Interestingly, the author of the game is "Mohcen El Mellah", funny how it looks like "El Mellah Mohcen", aka "elm". The author apparently voted good grades for his own game, will not reproach, fair enough. And Transat One always had good reviews in magazines, at least from people who like sailing.

KROKATILE WALTZ

BigFatChris 3 2 4 5

(With a comment from the voter saying that it was a very good game).

In short, people should VOTE !!!
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

:D OK , it's clear now ! > 2 TOPS

it's really curious that fans don't vote, but you need to be registered perhaps it's a problem ?

the number of votes should increased the value!

For example a game with 10 or 20 votes reveal the success of the game !! just like in the star academy :lol:

game with only 1 or 2 votes must be in the second half of ranking

game with 0 vote > out of list
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Dbug is right, infact Pulsoids in not 8th, but number 1, the best game ever made... naturally. Not that i'm biased at all. :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

About the registration, well, it's a painful problem... I already posted about that.

Being logged should just make it impossible to vote or write anything, but all read, screenshots, and other features should be available.

The current system makes it impossible to get access to any kind of meaningfull information if you are not logged on the site... I've been bitching about that many times, but well it's not my site, I can't do anything unfortunately.