Microdisc in ebay

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Chema
Game master

Microdisc in ebay

Post by Chema »

Still two days ahead, but only expensive and not insanely expensive yet :)
https://m.ebay.com/itm/LECTEUR-MICRODIS ... SwenlbBGI9
iss
Wing Commander

Re: Microdisc in ebay

Post by iss »

Yep, it's nice. The price still acceptable but who knows how high it can jump...
One thing I really can recommend: the seller is very nice and correct!
I already bough from her lot Oric stuff and everything is perfect, well packaged and send on time.
Other interesting thing in her store is brand new pcb for microdisc controller (without chips) - I have one and it's so beautiful that I'll keep it as is :).

EDIT: Take look at the Oric Atmos. Its serial number is 000323A - I newer saw such low number :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Darn, now I've gotta take out all my machines and inventory their serial #'s, lol ..
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I'd love to have a Microdisc case and, probably one of those 3" drives it includes just for collection purposes. And for testing too! But I am not willing to pay 100 EUR for it and even less if it is more expensive.

I have a Cumulus and a dual 3.5 drive working with Silicebit's clone. No need for a drive... maybe a slave unit with no controller inside (and check if my clone fits :) ) if it goes cheaper.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I'm lusting for it. All you other guys can sod off! Its mine, I tell you! :). Even though I have Cumulus drives and a working Cumana-based drive, I still want an original micro disc for my collection.

(For me it'd be double useful, since I have an Amstrad now and could use the 3" disc collection for multiple systems.. but I doubt I'm going to win this auction, because I never do.. lets see..)
NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

ibisum wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:36 pm I'm lusting for it. All you other guys can sod off! Its mine, I tell you! :). Even though I have Cumulus drives and a working Cumana-based drive, I still want an original micro disc for my collection.

(For me it'd be double useful, since I have an Amstrad now and could use the 3" disc collection for multiple systems.. but I doubt I'm going to win this auction, because I never do.. lets see..)
If you do participate in the auction, do not bid until the very last minute and use a snipping tool set to your maximum acceptable price.

This is the most efficient way to win auctions since it avoids forcing "active" bidders into stupid price wars. And moreover, it is stress free: set your maximum price and let the snipping tool bid for you at the last moment if your price has not been reached yet. No need to keep watching that auction every 10 minutes and lose a basket of hair each time. :D

If you look at the current bids list, the "e***a" eBay user is bidding in the worst possible way: he bids first and when people beat his bid, he adds a new one on top. This is the best way to end up with a silly price and actually losing the auction to someone even stupider than him.

By not showing your cards at all except at the last moment, the bidding price is not exaggeratedly inflated and it is possible to win over the idiots who engage into bid wars since they cannot beat the snipping tool during the last moments of the auction.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Thanks for explaining to me why I've lost every EBay, ever ... ;)

Any suggestions for a sniping tool?
NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

Well, I ended up paying big dollars for my first eBay acquisitions so I had to strategize seriously in order to not very quickly become poor. :D

If you take some time to analyze eBay's bidding system you will realize that it is made to encourage price escalation. Why would people reveal their maximum price in advance? Because that encourages others to beat them immediately! Which then immediately triggers people loss aversion and causes them to re-bid. Add just a few "active" bidders and prices will fly to very unreasonable levels.

Wait for the last moment to place your reasonable bid and it actually has very high odds of being the winning one. And moreover with this strategy you never end up paying more than the price you initially set for yourself.
There is actually a peer reviewed scientific paper which concludes that this is the optimal bidding strategy on eBay.

As for a sniping tool, I do not use one myself, I just set an alarm for auctions I am interested in and I bid in the last two seconds.
Usually that is sufficient and I got a lot of very nice catches this way.

Patience and sniping works wonders on eBay. ;)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

So, did anyone got it?

I was looking at the auction, it ended up at 182 euros, but 30 seconds before it was about 50 euros less expensive :)
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

All auctions from the same seller:

Code: Select all

ORDINATEUR ORIC 1 EN BOITE                                  201.00
ORDINATEUR ORIC ATMOS                                        61.00
ALIMENTATION ORIC POUR ORDINATEUR ET LECTEUR MICRODISC       76.00
LECTEUR MICRODISC ORIC                                      182.00
INTERRUPTEUR ALIMENTATION ORIC                                9.90
ADAPTATEUR JOYSTICK POUR ORDINATEUR ORIC                     76.00
CARTE IMPRIMEE VIERGE CONTROLEUR DE LECTEUR MICRODISC ORIC   10.50
PLAQUE DE 10 AUTOCOLLANTS ORIC                                9.90
                                                          --------
Not bad. I feel tempted to start selling ... No way! I'll keep my "precioussss" :)
Silicebit.
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silicebit. »

Chema wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:52 pm I'd love to have a Microdisc case and, probably one of those 3" drives it includes just for collection purposes. And for testing too! But I am not willing to pay 100 EUR for it and even less if it is more expensive.

I have a Cumulus and a dual 3.5 drive working with Silicebit's clone. No need for a drive... maybe a slave unit with no controller inside (and check if my clone fits :) ) if it goes cheaper.
Hey Chema! Do you want to see an Oric Microdisc? Probably I'll carry mine to Cachopo's party. ;-) See you. :-)
Oric user since 1984. YouTube
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Yes! Does it work? Any chance you can write a disk? Blake's 7 for instance?
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I bid on it in the 150's but I knew it was gonna go north, so I just sat back and cried. :-

Anyway, if anyone here ever wants to sell theirs .. I know its a long-shot .. I'm here in all fairness.
retroric
Pilot Officer

Post by retroric »

... Skyrocketed to €182 + €12 shipping, gosh!!! This really is a mad world !! :o
flag_fr RetrOric, aka laurentd75 flag_uk
            GitHub - RetrOric
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

laurentd75 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:47 am ... Skyrocketed to €182 + €12 shipping, gosh!!! This really is a mad world !! :o
Trying to see things in a different way: that's still less than a seat for a Ringo Starr show, and probably amusement for a longer time ;)