Site improvement

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Site improvement

Post by Dbug »

Hi,
a few years ago I started a process of modernization of the entire defence-force site, but it kind of ended with a bunch of disparate parts with no actual center piece that people could rely on to find where the rest was located.

I took some steps today to remedy to that issue, and I'd like to have feedback on it.

So basically the idea is to have http://www.defence-force.org as an actual hub/portal pointing to the rest.

What I did, is:
- I removed the "news" tab, and moved all the history on the main page, using some foldable containers to hide the content, and I merged the history element of the old site to have the entire history of all the stuff changed since 1997 (at some point there will be links, but since the rest will move, I did not do it)
- I removed the "forum" tab, and instead used the left column of the site to have banners to all the important elements of the site, which are the forum, the osdk, the wiki, the subversion repository, and my blog (I'll add stuff eventually at some point, but that the core)

The next steps I see are:
- add a "demos" tab, which would work like for the games, with subtabs for each of the demos (vip, zerofx, etc...)
- add a "library.defence-force.org" subdomain and reimplement the library in dynamic code so we can select books per author, category, etc...

(I may also add an "about" tab, which would probably contain some "about defence force" and "about me" because on the old site that was kind of my resume/portfolio as well :D)

Suggestions and feedback are welcome!
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Site improvement

Post by Dbug »

I continued on the idea today, and "imported" all the old demos from the old site, in the new "Demos" tab.
http://www.defence-force.org/index.php?page=demos

Now all I need to do is to add all the missing ones that have been done since 2002 :)