new with oric atmos

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Miguel angel rojo
1st Star Corporal

new with oric atmos

Post by Miguel angel rojo »

Hello good, I have an oric atmos for a year, but I could not put software, or with cassette I could not, so I'm on the list for the Microdisc + Amplibus controller,.
I will read the forum to be up to date,

excuse my english use translator,thanks
Chema
Game master

Re: new with oric atmos

Post by Chema »

Hey, nice to see you around here, Miguel.

So you could not load software using audio? PM me here or in RetroWiki if you want help!

En la lengua de Cervantes, me alegro de verte por aquí. Me extraña que no hayas podido cargar nada por audio... El oric es un poco picajoso para eso, pero deberías de poder hacerlo funcionar. Lo más fácil es usar la salida de audio de un PC y reproducir el WAV desde él (sin filtros, compresion, ni nada parecido: yo he usado el reproductor de Windows y el Audacity). Lo más difícil es dar con el volumen adecuado.

Si quieres ayuda mándame un privado aquí o en RetroWiki.

Un saludo
!
Miguel angel rojo
1st Star Corporal

Thank you Chema, I'll try to see, I do not know if the cable could be wrong, I want to try another, Regards.
Gracias en el idioma de cervantes :mrgreen: pero no pasa nada así aprendo ingles :D
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Could you give more details about what went wrong when trying to load files? Are you using tapes, or a computer playing WAV files? (if so, are the WAV at least at 11kHz?)

The most frequent problem I encountered with tape loads that don't work, are when people use WAV players to load the programs: many WAV players that don't play the very end of the WAV file. The human ear can't notice, but the Oric does.
If the Oric remains in "Loading .." state, leave it like that and try running the WAV file again. If Oric quits "Loading .." quickly, then that's it.
You then need to either use another player, either add silence at the end of your wav files.
Miguel angel rojo
1st Star Corporal

thanks pr the answers, I return this thread, which leaves it a little aside, the cable you had did not sound. Now I had a new one. but it still does not load. although it is heard. I have tried with 2 mobiles, with the computer but nothing, the maximum is that the screen is seen and there is still. It should be what you say symoon, try several wav programs.
Yes, 11 khz, more, how much?
I hope you understand me with the translator, thank you
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Miguel angel rojo wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 8:20 am the maximum is that the screen is seen and there is still.
Yes it sounds like the end of the WAV file is not played. The screen is loaded completely because the WAV carries on (there's a program after), but the end of the program is not played.

Get TAP2WAV from here, and use -a and -11 switches, it should fix the problem:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/euphor ... %20format/
NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

Symoon wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:00 pm
Miguel angel rojo wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 8:20 am the maximum is that the screen is seen and there is still.
Yes it sounds like the end of the WAV file is not played. The screen is loaded completely because the WAV carries on (there's a program after), but the end of the program is not played.

Hum...

This has me thinking: are there dedicated apps (on computers or phones) which can directly transfer TAP files to the Oric and correctly handle the full waveform? Rather than relying on a wav player which might have undesirable properties this would make it simpler and more reliable to load tapes from a modern computer.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Not to my knowledge, NekoNoNiaow, though there was at least one attempt to create an app to convert tap files and play them on the fly. Surely there is a post here somewhere...

In my experience it is not just the wav player, but the power that the device can output through the headphone plug. I tried two laptops, the old one needs no more than 60% of volume, while my new one needs 100% for tap2cd converted files (high pitches). I tried also several portable devices, several phones and my iPad. With the iPad I could never load anything. With my some of my phones I could load tap2cd converted games, while the others never worked.

So I guess the hardware output (power, filters, etc) are often the culprits of wrong loading.

With my laptop I used Audacity, Windows wav player and more recently windows media and the new music w10 app. What seems to disturb the loading more is any kind of filter which software may apply to the sound. Disabling them is a good idea.

Of course some Orics simply refuse to load almost everything... There is a patch in the Service Manual to improve this, but I am not sure if it really improves anything.
retroric
Pilot Officer

Post by retroric »

Hi Miguel,

Are you trying to load WAV files you found on some site, or WAV file you sampled yourself from cassettes (tapes) ?

Some Orics (like mine) can be quite picky/sensitive to the signal... I myselfhad many problems when trying to load files sampled at 11 kHz, and I had much better results with 22 kHz or even 48 kHz for some tapes...

So maybe give it a try with a greater sampling frequency (start a 22 kHz) if you are sampling actual tapes (like Chema I would recommend Audacity for this).

Also, try to listen yourself to the WAV file to check its quality: it must be loud and clear, with more treble than bass or medium.

Saludos,
Laurent
flag_fr RetrOric, aka laurentd75 flag_uk
            GitHub - RetrOric
Miguel angel rojo
1st Star Corporal

hello, thanks for the response and the help of all, in the end I managed to load games, after using the tap2wav. and the two games that I have converted have worked. great. :D
Attachments
DSC_0015_20180510025325374.jpg
Miguel angel rojo
1st Star Corporal

laurentd75 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:00 pm Hi Miguel,

Are you trying to load WAV files you found on some site, or WAV file you sampled yourself from cassettes (tapes) ?

Some Orics (like mine) can be quite picky/sensitive to the signal... I myselfhad many problems when trying to load files sampled at 11 kHz, and I had much better results with 22 kHz or even 48 kHz for some tapes...

So maybe give it a try with a greater sampling frequency (start a 22 kHz) if you are sampling actual tapes (like Chema I would recommend Audacity for this).

Also, try to listen yourself to the WAV file to check its quality: it must be loud and clear, with more treble than bass or medium.

Saludos,
Laurent
hello laurent, I downloaded many wav games, with emulators work but with the mobile no? when using the tap2wav is when I could load them with mobile. on computer no. regards
Miguel angel rojo
1st Star Corporal

Symoon wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:00 pm

use the parameters that you told me in the tap2wav -a -11 and perfect. have if I download more taps to continue testing. Thank you. regards. :D
NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

Chema wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:10 am Not to my knowledge, NekoNoNiaow, though there was at least one attempt to create an app to convert tap files and play them on the fly. Surely there is a post here somewhere...

In my experience it is not just the wav player, but the power that the device can output through the headphone plug. I tried two laptops, the old one needs no more than 60% of volume, while my new one needs 100% for tap2cd converted files (high pitches). I tried also several portable devices, several phones and my iPad. With the iPad I could never load anything. With my some of my phones I could load tap2cd converted games, while the others never worked.
Thanks for these details, this is fascinating and I guess must have been quite unnerving to discover I imagine. ;)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Miguel angel rojo wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:13 am
Symoon wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:00 pm Yes it sounds like the end of the WAV file is not played. The screen is loaded completely because the WAV carries on (there's a program after), but the end of the program is not played.

use the parameters that you told me in the tap2wav -a -11 and perfect. have if I download more taps to continue testing. Thank you. regards. :D
Good news ;)
I really should update TAP2WAV and produce this silence by default. Almost all nowadays' loading problems are due to players that don't play the end of the files :roll:
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Symoon wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:50 am I really should update TAP2WAV and produce this silence by default. Almost all nowadays' loading problems are due to players that don't play the end of the files :roll:
Or fade out on the end of tracks.
Just systematically add 30 seconds of silence and you should be good :)