Key presses not working in games

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
witchy
1st Star Corporal

Key presses not working in games

Post by witchy »

Hello folks,

I recently resurrected a twin 3.5" floppy drive stack and set it to work on various machines, the Oric being one of them with my Cumana interface. Using a similar setup to the last time I attempted this with 5.25" disks I've written images for the usual suspects (Defence Force, Xenon etc) and I'm stumped as to why the control keys don't work in every game I try. With Xenon I can still hear keypress beeps like it's still in DOS mode. Since most of the TOSEC images are Slave disks I'm booting SEDORIC3 then running games from drive B after a "B-" to set the default drive, maybe this isn't the way to do it.

Thinking it maybe an Oric/Atmos thing I'm currently using a 48K Oric-1 with the same results.

There must be a config issue I'm missing. I've not tried joysticks yet but I'd like to fix the key press thing first.

Cheers!

Witchy
witchy
1st Star Corporal

Re: Key presses not working in games

Post by witchy »

Never mind, joysticks work and I'm reminded just how bloody hard Defence Force is. Interestingly the last time I had all these machines out I couldn't get Xenon working at all, with a new image write to a 3.5" floppy it works first time.

W
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I have been thinking about your issue, and could not imagine why you are experiencing this at all. I guess the keyboard works in the OS or BASIC, and sound works too, and it only fails on some games. Does it happen if you load the game from a tape too?

At first I thought it could be some issue with the disk controller, but it is unlikely as it loads Sedoric and games properly load and run.

It is quite puzzling.

I have (always had) some doubts about the images in the TOSEC. For instance, I just downloaded it and took one dsk image Probe 3 (1985)(IJK Software#Peps)[Sedoric].dsk You have to boot from SEDORIC, then insert the dsk and launch the game, but I keyboard does not work on the emulator.

Also notice that some games cannot be directly stored in a disk image and make it work. Tapes usually are multipart and need some patching to work from disk, if even possible. I attach here a disk I have with some nice games you can try: manic miner, skooldaze, o-thrust, freecell and stormlord. Just so you can test if these work for you.
Attachments
GAMES1.DSK
(425.25 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Ah, that's what I really hate with those compilations that download everything and don't say a word about their sources.

It simply sounds like the disk files you guys are using are from Dom's page with his PASE joystick adaptated games:
http://dominique.pessan.pagesperso-oran ... ystick.htm
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

That'll explain it all!

I also have my concerns with these compilations. Thanks Symoon!
Dom
Flying Officer

Post by Dom »

It simply sounds like the disk files you guys are using are from Dom's page with his PASE joystick adaptated games
Ouch ! Last update 20 years ago :D I had completely forgoten this page... and I am astonished it is still active !
But I can remember that, in 1997, I effectively adapted some games to PASE JS and, for some of them, forgot to keep the keyboard active :oops: