GlobalGameJam 2018

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Dbug
Site Admin

GlobalGameJam 2018

Post by Dbug »

(I posted that on the Facebook Oric page, but does not hurt to post that here as well!)

In case some of you are interested, the Global Game Jam 2018 is coming soon (January 26 - 28, 2018).

These events are the perfect opportunity to try coding small games during a week-end, even if it's BASIC on a 30+ years old machine.

This year there's even some oldkool friendly additional themes you can use:
- .COM-pact - limit your game file size to 64k or less
- Happy Birthday GGJ - Use an emulator or piece of hardware in your game development or part of your gameplay which is over 10 years old
(Full list on https://globalgamejam.org/news/ggj18-diversifiers)

The GameJam sites are about everywhere, with many in each country. (I myself participated in 2015 and 2016 with some Oric productions made on the Oslo site)

If you want to make people know about the Oric, and if you want new software, it's the idea opportunity :)

For more information: https://globalgamejam.org
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: GlobalGameJam 2018

Post by Dbug »

Some update regarding the game jam.

I *may* be streaming the creation of the game on Twitch, but ideally I'd like the stream to be saved so people can check it later instead of just live. The problem being that I've no idea how to do that (first time I attempt this type of thing).

Now, get your expectation low:
- I'll be streaming so I'm going to be stresse, and not always in front of the machine (chatting, eating, having a break, etc...)
- If I'm not inspired by the topic... well...
- I'll not be allowed to say what the topic of the game is until Hawaii is informed, so basically they are 11 hours after Oslo, which means realistically I'm not going to explain anything about the game until Saturday morning
- I'll be using for the first time the laptop with Linux Mint... using the OSDK for Windows running under Wine. What can possibly go wrong :D

Normally people can chat on a stream, just no sure if I'll be looking at it often because watching the stream with the 10+ seconds delay is very disconcerting :D
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I watched part of your streaming, Dbug. Some live, some not, and I enjoyed it very much.

It's is very interesting watching you developing and explaining things. Very recommendable.

I could not understand what you said at moments, when people were shouting and laughing around, and not due to your French accent :mrgreen: I refrained to write Allo Allo in the chat :lol:

Nah, seriously your English is great, much better than mine for sure.

Did I understand you got sick of your stomach? I hope it is not too painful!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Hi,
yeah, I gave up for this year, but I spent a bit of time on adding time markers on the different sections:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwtwoZbABg

I had the last hours with refraining to burp loudly while fighting an headache.

But watching the video, I realize the whole place was quite noisy, and there was permanent interruptions, I really did not spend much time working on the game at all!

Glad you liked it :)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Ah those are the typical symptoms of a stomach virus. Get well soon.

I left you a Hello message in the chat but I don't know if you ever saw it ;)

It's a pity, I would have loved to see you develop a game live! I don't know how you are so creative as to design a game in just a few minutes.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Well, on a two days situation, you can't afford to do something with large scale, so basically you have to find THE game mechanics you need to implement to have the actual game working, that is flexible enough to accommodate design changes when conditions evolve during the event.

So in this particular case, everything was a variant of "Transmit a message, trying to limit the disruption".
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Well I for one got a lot of value out of this video .. seeing your workflow for OSDK is inspiring, and its nice to see someone who knows how to use Oricutrons debugger, putting it to use .. only thing is, use those Sublime hotkeys man! Hotkeys! :). The video would probably be 30 minutes shorter if you did .. ;)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Which hotkeys in particular?

The only things I missed was how to switch between Build and Run, I asked during the video if anyone knew how to bind two different keys for the different actions, but there was no answer.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

For my setup of ST3 (paid), I use the tip here to get the hotkeys under control:

https://forum.sublimetext.com/t/change- ... tcut/21769
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Ok, hopefully that works with ST2 as well.
I've registered ST2 years ago, it was showing ST3 Unregistered because Linux Mint auto-installed that one and I did not find an easy way to revert back to ST2 - that was not the highest priority thing to solve -

And yes, I dislike ST3, in particular, I did not find ways to remove the arrows around the tab bars and revert to the ST2 rounded tabs style.

When you have a crapton of tabs, the ST2 layout works much better at showing the titles and allowing you to create new tabs by clicking in the empty space... and I've honestly not found any reason why I should use ST3 instead of ST2, it's supposedly faster, but I did not notice any actual performance difference :)