Sedoric warning "DOS is altered!"

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
witchy
1st Star Corporal

Sedoric warning "DOS is altered!"

Post by witchy »

Hi folks,

My google-fu is failing me on this one, some disks I create using WRITEDSK start to boot but then give up with this warning in angry red text.

I can read the disk contents if I boot Sedoric3 and swap disks, games will run (mostly) but I'm conscious of not having enough RAM left.

Anyone know why that message appears?

Cheers

W
iss
Wing Commander

Re: Sedoric warning "DOS is altered!"

Post by iss »

The answer: http://oric.free.fr/DISKS/sedoric.html
Two types of discs can be formatted - a 'Master', containing the full DOS, and a 'Slave' which can only be used when the DOS is already in memory. If the DOS is missing, the error message '**WARNING** DOS is altered!' is displayed, requiring the insertion of a Master disc into the system drive if the DOS in memory has been affected.

BTW, google-ing "Sedoric warning "DOS is altered!" returns this info at first place. :wink:
witchy
1st Star Corporal

Post by witchy »

BTW, google-ing "Sedoric warning "DOS is altered!" returns this info at first place.
I'm sure I tried that but maybe missed 'Sedoric' off the search meaning I got drowned in MSDOS problems.

I did wonder if the (Slv) in the disk label meant it was a slave to something and obviously most things I ran worked apart from Xenon which is annoying me since it either crashes or starts but the keys don't work. Hey ho.

Cheers :D
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Put a master disk in the A drive and your slave disk in the B drive. You should be able to view it then.

I think it throws this message up if you insert an OricDOS disk after booting with Sedoric.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

A long shot, but why not try to boot Sedoric, select Oric 1 rom in overlay ram, then load with !LOAD ?

Not sure if it works, but maybe it is just that at least that copy of Xenon is not Atmos compatible?
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Is there a version that isn't Atmos compatible ?

The one on this disk image works.
IJKBEST2.DSK
(569 KiB) Downloaded 431 times
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

No idea, Steve. It is just that I thought that if the game called the get the key presses, it is ROM dependent?

But I might well be wrong!
witchy
1st Star Corporal

Post by witchy »

A long shot, but why not try to boot Sedoric, select Oric 1 rom in overlay ram, then load with !LOAD ?
Good point, or I could just plug the Cumana interface into a working Oric 1 assuming they haven't all developed faults in the last year.
The one on this disk image works
I'll give it a go tomorrow, cheers!
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Chema wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:12 pm No idea, Steve. It is just that I thought that if the game called the get the key presses, it is ROM dependent?

But I might well be wrong!
I would guess it isn't ROM dependent because it was written on the BBC computer and ported across to Oric.
witchy
1st Star Corporal

Post by witchy »

I would guess it isn't ROM dependent because it was written on the BBC computer and ported across to Oric.
Coo, I didn't know that. What was it released as on the Beeb?

W
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Nice info! I didn't know that. Thanks Steve!
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

As far as I know it wasn't released on the Beeb.
I did an interview with John S Sinclair who got in touch with me via my website. Unfortunately I can't find the interview at the moment - but that's one thing I remember from it. I always thought the graphics in the first screen look like a Beeb game.

They did release 3D Naze, Invaders, Candyfloss, Breakout and Leap Frog for the Beeb. Not sure how similar these are to the Oric versions.
They were releasing Beeb games before the Oric came out.
http://bbcmicro.co.uk/?pubid=13

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/cgi/ ... 20Software