system disk message

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
coolman66
Flying Officer

system disk message

Post by coolman66 »

Can anyone explain why sometimes when i load a disk using the emulater it comes up with " no operating system on disk " ? even PD disks .
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: system disk message

Post by Dbug »

Does the same floppy sometimes work and some times fails, or do you mean that some of your floppies are bootable and some are not :) ?
coolman66
Flying Officer

Post by coolman66 »

yes i have many that work but amongst the rest some come up with that message , i tryed Maphisto tonight before logging on and that is one that comes with that mesage , i am usingan emiulater on a PC ?
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

The game "MÉFIÉS TOI DE MÉPHISTO" is for Telestrat. If emulator runs in Oric-1 or Atmos mode, then "no operating system on disk" message appears. Simply configure the emulator to be Telestrat :)
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

When you format a disk it can be made as a system disk with the code to do all the necessary DOS operations, or it can be a data disk which doesn't have the extra information. This was done as there isn't a lot of room on a 3" disk and most Oric disks systems were 3" originally.

I mostly use 3.5" which has plenty of room so I usually make all my disks system disks.

I think this message can sometimes come up if the operating system has changed (?)

In the emulator put a system disk in the A drive and the disk you want to load in the B drive and it should work.