Oric SD Drive in production

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
jorodr
Flying Officer

Re: Oric SD Drive in production

Post by jorodr »

Halmar The SD Drive don't need to use via amplibus - there is internal. So if you use some kind of amplibus it may cause problems.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

The way the cumulus generate the /MAP signal is just crap :/
I'm sorry for retromaster, but this is clearly not the best part of the cumulus
jorodr
Flying Officer

Post by jorodr »

Godzil wrote:The way the cumulus generate the /MAP signal is just crap :/
I mean - I use the same oscillator, but not the same code. My controller was made a lot before Cumulus:

http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=839
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

jorodr wrote:
Godzil wrote:The way the cumulus generate the /MAP signal is just crap :/
I mean - I use the same oscillator, but not the same code. My controller was made a lot before Cumulus:

http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=839
It's not a competition, but I think the Cumulus is a bit older than your project :)

https://retromaster.wordpress.com/2010/ ... d-cumulus/
jorodr
Flying Officer

Post by jorodr »

Ok, my mistake :) I'm not interested in Cumulus, so I haven't used a bit of it's code.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

No worries :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I'd really like to know the issues of the Cumulus, can you perhaps explain this, or send me in the direction if its explained elsewhere?

The reason is, I have 2 Cumulus, and I wonder about the problems you mention - mine have been working pretty reliably for a year or so now, although there is much room for improvement generally, if there are going to be blocking issues that you've discovered it would be helpful to know it openly - especially for those of us who have the Cumulus toolchain at hand and can do firmware updates, given the proper motivation.

For the OricSD Drive, I hope to also one day see how well it works with my Atmos collection - I have 7 Atmos, an Oric-1 and a Telestrat, as well as various forms of drives, so if there is one day a chance that I can power up all systems with proper, fully functioning mass storage, I'm all ears. At the moment, my family gets its pleasure from a single Atmos, which is loaded with great stuff I never had in the 80's, so its a bit of a treasured spot in my limited office space .. Alas, the current rig is too bulky.. If my Atmos playstation can one day be mounted in a happy way in the loo, for example, it'll be my ideal daily reader.
jorodr
Flying Officer

Post by jorodr »

I'm interested of Cumulus just to integrate it to AtmoStrat project, nothing more. If HyperBasic could use my SD Drive I will prefer, but...
About Cumulus - iss is more interested and knows more about it's issues.
mitov
Private

Post by mitov »

iss wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:48 pm Previously
And here is the best ever made advanced version (1991 or so...):
The author is another BOBY (with very little help from me :oops:)

This controller connects directly to Oric and to 5.25 floppy.
Hello everyone, I just discovered this old post. So it happens that I am the author (BOBY) of this particular contraption :-D
Furthermore in the last few days I was contacted by a group of Pravertz 8D (Oric) enthusiasts from Bulgaria, and they are working to replicate the good old design and make slightly updated version. They are also hooking it with a SD floppy emulator board so you can use the controller with SD cards instead of floppies :-) . I think this can bring new life to the good old Oric :-) . Just wanted to share the good news.
Cheers,
Boian
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

mitov wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:19 pm So it happens that I am the author (BOBY) of this particular contraption :-D
It is great that someone who has developed things for our Oric pops out from the blue like this! :D Thanks for your contribution to this community and I am really glad to meet you here!
Furthermore in the last few days I was contacted by a group of Pravertz 8D (Oric) enthusiasts from Bulgaria, and they are working to replicate the good old design and make slightly updated version. They are also hooking it with a SD floppy emulator board so you can use the controller with SD cards instead of floppies :-) . I think this can bring new life to the good old Oric :-) . Just wanted to share the good news.
I have never used BDOS or any of these Apple-compatible devices, to be honest. I have a Microdisc clone controller and a Cumulus (Microdisc + floppy emulator using SDs), and my games are all Microdisc based (except Pinforic, which supports other controllers too, thanks to the work of Fabrice Frances, and a WIP version of Blake's 7 which should support Jasmin too, but I don't think it works under Pravetz 8D controller). So I find any development in this direction very interesting!