Major Defence-force structural update

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Major Defence-force structural update

Post by Dbug »

Defence-Force.org has been operated since 1997, first at SimpleNet, and then at Yahoo! Small Business when they bought SimpleNet.
All this time I used Network Solution as the registrar.

In the few last years I've been migrating some of the services from Yahoo! to my own "miniserve" server (hosted in my apartment) because of the global sluggishness of the Yahoo! hosting and the difficulty to upgrade phpBB.

More recently, I've been able to secure the defence-force.com, defence-force.net and osdk.org domains (plus the2dgame.com and l3314.no for my other hobbies and projects), which turned out to be impossible to handle through Network Solution (they do not have access to the .no domains)... so I decided to move all the domain name management to the Norwegian registrar I used for l3314.no.

I will be progressively relocating all the subdomains that are still hosted at Yahoo! (space1999.defence-force.org, 1337, stormlord, etc...) to my personal server, which means a lot of DNS changes and most certainly some downtime here and there.

The final big changes will be the transfer of the mail system, and the ftp, at which point I will stop my Yahoo! contract and 100% rely on my own stuff - that will also reduce my yearly costs significantly I hope -.

I also took the decision to try to document all the structure and make sure that in case something bad happen to me, that somebody else could take over without too much hassle, let's hope that will not be necessary any soon :)
iss
Wing Commander

Re: Major Defence-force structural update

Post by iss »

Just to say big thanks for everything you do.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

+1

Thanks Dbug!!
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Huge thanks to you Dbug! Without the Defence Force, I doubt I would have rekindled my interest in these machines - but having you guys around really made all the difference to me as an Oric/Atmos fan. I raise my virtual glass to you, sir!
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Dbug: if you need some space outside your home for backup, and it does not take a lot of space I have a server that I can allocate some space to you if you want, and free of charge, as I pay for this server and it does what I need for this price, and adding a low traffic backup would be fine.

Tell me if you are interested.
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

Thanks a lot Dbug !
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

8) Thanks a lot for all this maintenance work on oric stuff.
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
retroric
Pilot Officer

Post by retroric »

ibisum wrote:Huge thanks to you Dbug! Without the Defence Force, I doubt I would have rekindled my interest in these machines - but having you guys around really made all the difference to me as an Oric/Atmos fan. I raise my virtual glass to you, sir!
Same here DBug!
Without defence-force.org and oric.org, I would never have regained an interest in the Oric world!
It's really awesome that individuals like you and the CEO have succeeded in keeping the Oric afloat for all these years!!

Many thanks for your efforts, and long live the Oric community!
Kind regards
Laurent
flag_fr RetrOric, aka laurentd75 flag_uk
            GitHub - RetrOric
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Here goes nothing:
You have confirmed the transfer of defence-force.org. If everything goes well, the domain will be transferred in 5 days.
If everything goes right, you should not see any difference.
If on the other hand I have kind of made my subdomain redirects incorrectly, this forum may stop working, in this case please use one of the the alternate URL:
- http://forum.defence-force.com
- http://forum.defence-force.net

Let cross fingers :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Fingers crossed, well it might be long to keep them crossed 5 days long ;)
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

mazette, fichtre ! bon courage et bonne chance :wink:
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Just tried the original forum url (the .org one) and got a Bad Request error...

.net, however is working perfectly. I hope it just takes a bit of time for DNS propagation...
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

The transfer to the new registrar has been done, but apparently the subdomain redirects from yahoo are a giant mess, there are more than 40 subdomains, mx1/2/3/4, mail, blog, backup, admin, bla bla bla bla, and they all still point to the old server, but apparently that broke.

Looks like I'm going to have some fun time fixing this mess...
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

If you need any help please ask.

And again thank you for everything you do for the Oric community.
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Hialmar wrote:If you need any help please ask.
And again thank you for everything you do for the Oric community.
There's one thing you may know how to do:

I asked to the new registrar support how to setup the DNS to have everything point to my home server (through DNSMADEEASY to handle dynamic dns), except the mail server (handled on the registrar/webhosting):
Registrar wrote:
Dbug wrote:Basically, what I would like is just to replicate what I have for "defence-force.com" and just have everything use the DNS entries:

NS0.DNSMADEEASY.COM
NS1.DNSMADEEASY.COM
NS2.DNSMADEEASY.COM
NS3.DNSMADEEASY.COM
NS4.DNSMADEEASY.COM my own server already have all the apache setup to handle the sub-domains.

If I do that, will that break any setup you did for the email, or is that something totally separate?
Hi

You need to set up an MX-pointer for your domain on your external name server, that points to our mail server:

mx.domeneshop.no

In order to avoid disruption of email service, I would suggest adding this MX pointer an hour or so before making the change to the name servers for the domain. As long as this MX pointer is available on the new name servers, there should be no disruption in email delivery for your domain.
I had a quick look at the setup on DNSMADEEASY, it did not seem that obvious to redirect the MX record to another arbitrary location, if you can find how to do that, that would make me gain some time :)

Thanks.