Next Cumulus batch

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)

What type of box do you prefer?

A 3D printed like Metadata cases
71%
A Layered one like the PiBows
26%
Something else? (please explain on the topic)
3%

Total votes: 34

carlsson
Pilot Officer

Re: Next Cumulus batch

Post by carlsson »

Me too, checking back here every now and then. Hopefully I can get my Oric-1 fixed before there is a Cumulus ready to buy.
Anders Carlsson
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

I'm in too, completed the survey! :P

P.S: I am working on a cross platform game for all 6502 based 8 bit computers, including the Atmos.
You can read more here: 8bit-slicks.com
fandenivoldsk
2nd Star Corporal

Post by fandenivoldsk »

I am ready. Survey done.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Hello everyone,

Just a quick recap on the Cumulus Rev2 project. It is not dead, at all!
I've just been unable to work on it for personal problems. (a bit to private to discuss about that here, but don't worry I'm fine)

The hardware is defined for the first set of prototype, the one that will allow me to make sure the hardware is feasible and build the software for the production version.

The next step on the project is to build that prototype, and start to make the software that will run on it (I've already started part of it, as much as I can do without having the hardware and as much as I was able to work on that project during that time)

I will keep people informed as soon as there are new thing about the project, but plus be assured that this project is not dead and is not going to be dead soon. You will get your Cumulus Rev 2 sooner than later :)

I'm really sorry to make every one to wait for it, that project is not a simple project that can be finished in a couple of day, it will probably take some weeks if not month with a reasonable amount of time to work on it.
The good thing is that I've started to look again on the hardware to check that I really can make a production of prototype, I will do a small modification to prevent expensive modification in case something does not work as expected.

Unrelated but I've also had a look at Oric Mouse, and found a potential solution for it that will not make it as a full DIY kit but close to. I will also resume working on the "new" oric project, well I do have a project that is close to not sure really if I can integrate the new oric to it we will see, but that not something urgent anyway.

So the cumulus Rev2 is there, not forgotten, not dead, just running slower than a snail, but will get more strength soon :)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Great news. Good luck!
RichKK
Private

Post by RichKK »

There are a very limited amount of Cumulus' available here.
The listing went live yesterday evening. These are made by Piotr Bugaj and were announced on the Facebook group Oric 1 & Atmos Owners/Users yesterday.

:D
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

Just bought one.
I’ll tell you if it works well.
Thanks for this message that I completely overlooked.
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
dreamseal
Officer Cadet

Post by dreamseal »

I purchased one of these as well. I'll also give an update, hopefully this weekend, on how it performs. It appears that quantities of these are being released all the time. When they run out, a week or so later there's more available.

I did wonder why the device has to be so big though. I know that its a lot smaller than the original Microdisc, but when you compare it with a Commodore SD2IEC, it is quite chunky.

Do you think we'll some day see an Oric SD disk device about the size of a Commodore SD2IEC?
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

My cumulus works well on my English Atmos (complete one with RF module) but not on my French Atmos (the one I bought in 85 or 86 which hasn’t the RF modulator and outputs 5V on the SCART socket).
Not sure what is the problem with the French Atmos but I’m happy to have a cumulus setting that works well.
The French Atmos also has problems with a Cumana board from CEO, Silicebit’s microdisc controller clone and Jorodr’s SD drive. So it’s definitely a problem with my Atmos and not one of either of these solutions.
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
Gliou
1st Star Corporal

Post by Gliou »

Hi,
It is possible buy 1 or 2 units ?
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Gliou wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:50 pm Hi,
It is possible buy 1 or 2 units ?
The latest units that were manufactured were done by Zaxon (https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/25967), but I am not sure that he sells them anymore, as he created the Cumana Reborn (kind of controller with an internal Gotek). Check his store or Facebook page.

Good luck!
stainlessstephen
Officer Cadet

Post by stainlessstephen »

Can someone give me the FB details for Zaxon.

I'm interested in a Cumana Reborn only if it is better than the Cumulus.

Cheers
Steve
HigashiJun
Flying Officer

Post by HigashiJun »

Here is the link to Zaxon's Sell my Retro page:

https://www.sellmyretro.com/user/profile/zaxon

There are still 5 Cumana Reborn for sale.
HigashiJun
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

stainlessstephen wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:40 pm Can someone give me the FB details for Zaxon.

Difficult to define "better".

Basically Cumana Reborn is a real Microdisc compatible disk controller, with a built in gotek flash floppy emulator and a secondary connector on which you can attach a physical mechanical floppy drive.

Cumulus on the other hand, is more like a recreation of something which is compatible with the Microdisc, but it does not try to be accurate.

In practice, everything on DSK will run fine on both Cumana and Cumulus, Cumana will be more exact and behave more like the way things were supposed to be behave, while Cumulus will tend to be faster to load because it does not bother simulating seek time, track change, etc... which impacts loading times.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Dbug wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:22 am
stainlessstephen wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:40 pm Can someone give me the FB details for Zaxon.

Difficult to define "better".
I was about to say the same thing :)

Cumulus emulates a complete Microdisc + 4 disc drives in a small space and with no need of separate power supply. You just copy your dsk images to an SD card and mount them and that's it. Fast, convenient, small...

Cumana Reborn is, as Dbug said, a re-implementation of a disc controller (in fact it is a cumana clone with a Microdisc Eprom, if I remember correctly, but it is 100% compatible) with a Gotek inside. More or less that. It is bigger, needs a separate power supply and it is much more like having the real thing. You can connect a real fdd there, which is indeed an important plus.

BTW, I did not know it supported Oric's dsk already. Great! Before that, you had to convert your images to HFE using a dedicated software (free, anyway).

I have a cumulus and a Microdisc clone with two real disc drives. The experience is always much better with the latter, but the former is what I usually use for testing or casual playing.