New version of Oricutron for Pandora in progress ..

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

New version of Oricutron for Pandora in progress ..

Post by ibisum »

.. seems the Pandora crowd have re-discovered my previous port of Oricutron for Pandora, and we're now preparing a new release, being discussed here:

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/17509-laigle-dor/

Info about the Pandora here:

http://boards.openpandora.org/page/homepage.html

.. so the Pandora has its own app bundle architecture, and one of the features is you can bundle your own filesystem onboard of course .. so I'm asking you guys, which tapes/disks do you think should be bundled with PandOricutron so that newcomers to the Oric scene can get a good introduction? Should this list be coordinated with the Steam release of Oricutron - i.e. maybe we should standardize on the list of games, so that there is some coherence between the effort?

Also, the Pandora repository allows for paid apps/donations to be made:

http://repo.openpandora.org/

What do you guys think about that? Is there a paypal account that would benefit all Oric users, for example - like maybe a developer bounty account that can be used? (I won't set it up for me to personally receive payments - just want to suggest it in case its of interest to you, Peter .. and anyone else who might be included in the PanOricutron release, .tap/.dsk-wise...)
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: New version of Oricutron for Pandora in progress ..

Post by Dbug »

There's no such thing as a "Steam release of Oricutron": If a Steam enabled Oricutron gets released, that will be a specific cut-down version made to run ONE specific game directly, without any access to the menus, floppy loading, etc...

Generally speaking, every software you want to include in anything has to be cleared for rights:
- Don't put any game such a Stormlord, Space:1999, SkoolDaze, ... because they use IP's we don't own.
- And for software without IP problem, you still need to ask the authors if they are ok with it, and possibly include some "legaleese" to explain who owns what and things like copyright, diffusion, repackaging, etc...
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Okay, understood .. thanks.
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

The version of l'Aigle D'Or discussed in the first link is not emulated. It's the port in C that JOTD and I did a little while ago. Not sure how it ended on this pandora thing though.
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

It was discovered by a Pandora fan and then ported to it .. and then I piped up and said "hey you can just run the original in the Oricutron emulator for Pandora", and thats how we're in the situation of prepping a new release of PandOricutron fro the Pandora...
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Okay .. I updated the port of Oricutron for Pandora, and have posted a thread here:

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/177 ... ndora-109/

.. for anyone who might be interested to follow along.

I've already noticed a few bugs, unfortunately .. sound seems to be broken in some way, I think perhaps something is up with channelization - seems to be stuttering while copying blocks from mono->stereo output (maybe). GL mode works, but then hangs shortly thereafter .. this could be related to the use of the glshim (GL ES1.1 -> OpenGL 1) library that is used to give "OpenGL 1" like features to the Pandora, but I don't know yet .. still going to debug.

Anyway, I released it anyway so that other Pandora users can play with it, and report bugs too. I've left the previous version online as well, as that seems to perform better at the moment - hopefully I can submit some fixes in the next few days to address any other bugs that come up with the latest version.

Yes - this is a portable Oric! Its so cool to have an Oric with me everywhere I go! :)