South of France Meeting in Vieumikro (4 and 5 of October)

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

South of France Meeting in Vieumikro (4 and 5 of October)

Post by Hialmar »

Hi,

We will organize a small Oric meeting during the Vieumikro happening near Toulouse (South of France).

Details about Vieumikro (in French) are available here:
http://silicium.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=36976

Attendants currently include:
- Fabrice F. / Euphoric father ;
- Maximus ;
- Musepat ;
- myself.

If some people are interested just post here or PM me.
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Re: South of France Meeting in Vieumikro (4 and 5 of October

Post by Hialmar »

Just a reminder that the date is approaching.

I'll post some photos after the meeting.
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
angel10
Private

Post by angel10 »

ok i'll be waiting
Need help for Testking 300-101 certification? Download Michigan Technological University products to guarantee pass your ICMA exam.
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

Here is a short summary of what I could see/talk about.

2014 was the 20th year of our retrocomputing/retrogaming association called Silicium and René our President/Dictator/Supreme Guide made a long speech similar to a SSSR congres speech :)

Oric related:
- Kenneth presented his cartridge system called Osmosa. He showed a first prototype as well as the final version which PCB is freely available here: http://www.petit-fichier.fr/2014/05/16/ ... mosa-oric/ He showed several games including Skool Daze (with Chema's approval).
He also showed a Jasmin 3 inches drive which unfortunately had some slight problems (just need to restart and try again as with my Cumana).
- Fabrice "Euphoric" F. showed us some of his custom hardware: a SD tape drive, a multigame cartridge system, a slim oric keyboard with Arduino+Bluetooth connected to an Android tablet running an Oric emulator. He also showed a very small computer that fits in a DIN serial connector that you can plug in the infamous french minitel 1B. It's not an Oric but very impressive anyway. The SOC is as small as half a fingernail. So far Fabrice only coded a monitor/disassembler but he promised a Basic for next year.
- Patrice/musepat showed us his Jasmin drive that seems to be a prototype.
- Jean-François/jotd showed us several adaptations of Oric and other 8 bits games running on a PC with SDL or a Nintendo DS. He then talked a lot with Kenneth and their goal is to make a cartridge containing Defence Force (the game). This doesn't seem trivial.
- Philippe S. showed us one of his Telestrats. The PSU seems dead but Fabrice had a generic PSU adapted for Oric hardware that managed to make it running.
- Jeff/Pocket got us his Cumulus but we didn't have much time to test it. I borrowed it and will test it ASAP. I'll post another message about that.
- I brought my Atmos, Cumana board made by Jean B. from CEO with a PC disk drive. I showed several games like Athanor, Aigle d'Or, Space 1999 and even the beta version of Tyrann 3 which is being developed by Maximus and I. I also showed the SD disk drive emulator made by Jorodr.

There were also some French computers called Goupil and Macintosh Portables that were being repaired.
Several other 8 bits and 16/32 computers were demonstrated. I saw several C64 with some DJ equipment, as well as a robot arm, several Amstrad, Atari ST, a Falcon 030 and even a Sharp X68000.
An Amiga 4000 with a 68060 accelerator card was being configured. It nows runs without Software Failures!
There was also a Sun workstation with an LCD screen.
Torlus showed us several FPGAs emulating old game consoles.

There was also some old game consoles and even new stuff like an XBox One and a PS4 but I don't like game consoles so I didn't look much there.

I also spent a lot of time on an Oculus Rift which refused to work as it did at home :( I prefer 8 bit computers ;)
Last edited by Hialmar on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Hialmar wrote: - Patrice/musepat showed us his Jasmin drive that seems to be a prototype.
Does it was a Jasmin in a red metallic box?
There were also some French computers called Goupil and Macintosh Portables that were being repaired.
Do you know who repaired these Mac Portable, and what was the problem on them? One of my two mac portable have a hardware issue (it seems that it was somewhat strike by a power surge, it's not completely broken, but it seems that some part of the internal power supply is KO, I would like to discuss with them if they know more on this.)
Euphoric
Game master

Post by Euphoric »

Hello guys,

I really enjoyed meeting old friends at this Vieumikro, and new ones like Kenneth (who incidentally is as old as me :wink: )

Vieumikro is definitely the place to be in October, maybe other oricians will make the journey next year ! :D

Cheers to all,

Fabrice
Euphoric
Game master

Post by Euphoric »

Ah, Kenneth, I forgot... Here is the reference for the 36-pins edge connector :

http://www.rs-particuliers.com/WebCatal ... 12238.aspx

Cheers,

Fabrice
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

Yes musepat's Jasmin is the one in the red metallic box. He posted about it here a few months ago.

Three people from Silicium worked on the Macintosh Portable :
- François P. ( françoisp31 on silicium forum ) ;
- Didier B. (cleesy) ;
- Eric (Gabangoto).

You can contact them on the silicium forums: http://www.silicium.org/forum/. I am not sure what was the problems.
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Hialmar wrote:Yes musepat's Jasmin is the one in the red metallic box. He posted about it here a few months ago.
So it's not a prototype, but the first run of Jasmin 1, before they make the plastic shell, I have one, and it was sold at that time :)
Three people from Silicium worked on the Macintosh Portable :
- François P. ( françoisp31 on silicium forum ) ;
- Didier B. (cleesy) ;
- Eric (Gabangoto).

You can contact them on the silicium forums: http://www.silicium.org/forum/. I am not sure what was the problems.
Thanks
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

musepat's drive has only one drive instead of two as shown here:
http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1103

So we think it might be a prototype of the normal double drive.

Now again it could be a cheaper version of the other ;)
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

Euphoric wrote:Ah, Kenneth, I forgot... Here is the reference for the 36-pins edge connector :

http://www.rs-particuliers.com/WebCatal ... 12238.aspx

Cheers,

Fabrice
if I'd known that.... :oops:
Thanks. :D
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Euphoric wrote:Hello guys,

I really enjoyed meeting old friends at this Vieumikro, and new ones like Kenneth (who incidentally is as old as me :wink: )

Vieumikro is definitely the place to be in October, maybe other oricians will make the journey next year ! :D

Cheers to all,

Fabrice
I would definitely have attended if I was still in France :)

Question for you: Do you think that merging your SD card TAP emulator and Cumulus is something doable, possibly even add that on the existing Cumulus perhaps just by modifying the firmware/bootstrap?

Being able to load both TAP and DSK from a single SD Card would be kind of awesome :)
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

The One Drive version was a cheaper one (don't have to pay for both drive) and I think most of them was sold with only one drive.
Dbug wrote: Question for you: Do you think that merging your SD card TAP emulator and Cumulus is something doable, possibly even add that on the existing Cumulus perhaps just by modifying the firmware/bootstrap?

Being able to load both TAP and DSK from a single SD Card would be kind of awesome :)
I seriously doubt that the Cumulus in the current form is able to do this.
What may be done is to "convert" a tap to bootable dsk (not necessarily using a real DOS, we just need to load the TAP content into memory, but it will not be easy for nor "one file" TAP..