Oricutron 0.9

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Oricutron 0.9

Post by Xeron »

Thought I'd start a new topic since the old one was 13 pages long :)

I am happy to announce that Oricutron 0.9 has just been released. With a few exceptions*, this version is now feature complete enough to be a comprehensive replacement for Euphoric, for those that need one.

Changes since 0.8:
  • Now uses comes with appropriate icons for OS4, MorphOS and AROS.
  • Audio sync problems fixed in AVI recordings
  • Various optimisations to the display routines
  • 6502 emulation now includes all illegal opcodes
  • Now includes an option to emulate the 6502 at various clock speeds from 1Mhz to 64Mhz (the rest of the hw is emulated at normal speed).
  • Tape saving is now implemented. CSAVE/STORE will save to a standard tap file. You can also capture all tape output to a new .ORT format, which will record the actual output waveform from the tape port.
  • Changes to disks are now automatically saved back to the disk image file. The old behaviour can still be selected from the config file.
  • Reformatted the VIA panel in the debugger (thanks to Twilighte for the suggestion)
  • Printer emulation now filters out non-ascii chars as a workaround for the phantom printer output (this is temporary until a proper fix is found)
  • Added a PAL ghosting simulation to the GL renderer
  • Switching between OpenGL and software rendering on the fly no longer causes hang-on-exit problems.
  • Added NMI, reset and IRQ vector display in thedebugger (thanks to Twilighte for the suggestion!)
  • Keyboard can now only be read when the AY direction register is set up correctly (thanks to Chema for pointing this out).
  • Added experimental snapshot functionality (use with caution!)
  • The Oric lightpen is now emulated (thanks to Stefan Haubenthal for his help)
* the exceptions are Telestrat emulation which is still incomplete, and of course if you are using an ancient pentium (hi Brana :) )
Antiriad2097
Flying Officer

Re: Oricutron 0.9

Post by Antiriad2097 »

Excellent update, thanks for all the hard work Xeron.
Pengwin
Pilot Officer

Post by Pengwin »

Is there an OS X version available?
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

I'm afraid that for ports other than os4 and windows I am reliant upon others to provide binaries, so I can't say when they will arrive.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Great news! Thank you Xeron.
I'll give a try at the light pen as soon as I have 5min ahead ;-)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Guess it's probably time for me to try to integrate Oricutron with the OSDK.
vrozos
Officer Cadet

Post by vrozos »

I think I found a bug.

I am loading Author
(see http://www.oric.org/index.php?page=soft ... num_log=15)

I choose Retrieve, answer yes to question "Destroy old text?"

Give any name you like or leave it blank

Press return ...

and Oricutron dies

V.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

ok... Please add it as an issue on the google code page.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Ok, tested Ex-Sip and the light pen seems to work like a charm, being replaced by the mouse pointer :-)
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

@vrozos
Bug confirmed. You can work around it in the meantime by inserting the tape image you want to load from BEFORE using the retrieve option.

Edit: Well, it looks like you can't really use author with Oricutron at the moment... it seems it doesn't use the ROM routines for saving or loading. Tape capture to ORT does capture the saved data, but loading it back in doesn't seem to work. I'll try and work on this.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Xeron wrote:@vrozos
Bug confirmed. You can work around it in the meantime by inserting the tape image you want to load from BEFORE using the retrieve option.

Edit: Well, it looks like you can't really use author with Oricutron at the moment... it seems it doesn't use the ROM routines for saving or loading. Tape capture to ORT does capture the saved data, but loading it back in doesn't seem to work. I'll try and work on this.
I confirm it doesn't, for the saves. Here's what I got in my notes about Author:
About the saved text format: Author is not using standard tape routines to save the text. This has to be confirmed, but it seems the difference is mainly in the synchronization part.
soft-bug
2nd Star Corporal

Post by soft-bug »

Hi,

Very good news !

I just want to inform you that i have done an HyperSpin Project dedicated to Oric, using Oricutron emulator ...

All details are here : http://www.oricgames.com/forum,fr,66,308,1.html

I will feed the Ceo Mag to explain all about this project and glad to have an Oricutron improved.

I hope that now i can launch the Hobbit ...

You can see the video here to understand more about the HyperSpin Oric using Oricutron : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tySqaQgelG4

I hope to see most of you in the next Visu in june ...

Regards,

Grégory ( the sleeping oric fan ;) )
kamelito
Flying Officer

Post by kamelito »

@Xeron,

Is it possible for you to use SDL outside of the source code (not all abviously), by being generic on the library calls this way another graphic library could be used. For example Allegro, because it's available for DOS, SDL is not, also because Allegro is available under iOS without having to pay a licence to link it to your app. (any other gfx lib could be used too, could also be the native OS call)
The choice of the lib could be done via the a makefile option. I hope it's not too much work.

Kamel
/kml
skype pseudo : kamelitoloveless
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Abstracting oricutron from SDL would not be trivial; it heavily uses the SDL api and types throughout.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Hi,
I tried to load a WAV tape but failed to.
Here's what I'm doing:
- run Oricutron
- F1
- remove the "turbo tape" option
- insert a tape (a WAV file)
- CLOAD"" + return

Then nothing seems to happen.
I tried with a file processed through Fabrice's Wavclean, and another one at 44khz...
Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: ok, just found that tapes need to be in the tapes folder, otherwise they won't load ! So it's OK now, but I couldn't find if it was specified somewhere, or if it's part of the 1% remaining tape work ;-)