Euphoric on a mobile device?

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
Brana
Flying Officer

Euphoric on a mobile device?

Post by Brana »

Hello everybody :)

Since I now have a quite a lot of (small, utility based) peaces of my software developed under Euphoric, and I do use them literary every day (!) it would be just a great possibility if I could take it all with me - preferably under some hand-held device capable of running Euphoric (or maybe a mobile phone running DosBox emulating Euphoric)?

Sorry, but a LapTop is not an option as it requires quite a lot of space, it's really not so easy to carry around, and it' has batteries that wear off far too fast for my taste (only 45 minutes if I'm lucky enough!!)

So, if this guy can boot whole Win95 on a rather old Nokia N95:
http://www.intomobile.com/2009/03/05/wi ... nokia-n95/
then would it be possible to port only DOS with Euphoric emulator on it?

Notice: this hand-held-device that I'm searching for should be capable of running Euphoric emulating Oric Atmos at the Atmos'CPU speed of at lest 3.5Mhz!
(My "default" is 6.5Mhz)

Does anyone have "practical experience" regarding this subject?
Is there a mobile phone suitable of executing plain (old) DOS (with, or maybe without DosBox emulator?)

I am hesitating to buy a BRAND NEW phone for this purpose mainly because of it's rather high price... :(
Can I use any older mobile phone model (and can someone suggest me which one in particular?) and also - how usable would that be?

Thanks in advance for Your suggestions.
P.S. Congratulation on the forum's new look :)
Brana

P.P.S. I just saw Your "Oric with Andriod" toppic...
I don't know is that an answer to my question here?
But does it have to be the android-based mobile device?
Can I use something older (?)
And with Euphoric (not Oricutron) running on it?
Please?
:)
Last edited by Brana on Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Re: Euphoric on a mobile device?

Post by Xeron »

Brana wrote: And with Euphoric (not Oricutron) running on it?
Please?
:)
btw, the next release of oricutron will most likely solve the issues currently preventing you from using it.
Brana
Flying Officer

Post by Brana »

Euphoric has the "automated cassette mechanism"
Or, that is to say - if I do something like this in my program:

10 Some program here...
20 CLOAD "NEXTFILE.TAP"

and type "RUN"

Will Oricutron automatically Cload the "NEXTFILE.TAP" in the line 20
(of course that file should exist in it's current TAP folder)
and run it for me (it's csaved with Auto=ON option) as Euphoric does?

Or will I have to navigate trough the Oricutron's menu to cload the "NEXTFILE.TAP" myself in this example?
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

oricutron already does that.
Brana
Flying Officer

Post by Brana »

OK "you got me",
I'll definitely will try-out the new Oricutron option :)

But my question regarding the selection of the "correct" hand-held device for Euphoric (or Oricutron!) still remains :)
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

The current Oricutron still lacks some things you want (CSAVE/STORE for example), but these are already done in the SVN for the next release.

As for mobile options, there is already a port to the Pandora device, and I am going to compile it for webOS devices sometime soon (Palm Pre, HP Touchpad etc.)
Brana
Flying Officer

Post by Brana »

When I'm using my old (and only!) home Pentium computer at 300Mhz CPU, I did had a quite a lot of problems using Oricutron...

That is to say - Oricutron could not be loaded at all; all it did was "stuck" with Oric booting image (black/white squares on the screen).

So based on that - I suppose that Oricutron is more demanding on the computer CPU (and other resources) than the Euphoric is (?)

(I have dualboot with Win98/WinXP and Euphoric works OK on both, but Oricutron couldn't load on either on it!)

I wonder would Euphoric be less demanding on Phone's CPU as it is on computer's CPU...???

Edit: Just downloaded the NEW Oricutron!

This one do manages to "boot" Atmos computer
(Oric Extended Basic message with the Ready sign and flashing cursor...)

But that's all it can do (and then it stucks, does not respond to keyboard nor it can be closed clicking on it's "X" in the upper right corner of the window, but I have to "kill" it's process performing the Ctrl+Alt+Del routine...)

Notice - I've tested it on Win98 :)
I'll reboot and try it on my WinXP now...

But something tells me that I'll be "stuck" with Euphoric for a future to come :D
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

The average mobile phone is more powerful that your 300mhz Pentium, just so you know.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

i have put some optinisations in the svn, so the next version will be less resource hungry. Note that oricutron is more cpu intensive than euphoric because it is cycle accurate for the cpu/via, also it scales up the display 2x for modern systems.

As dbug notes, a pentium 300mhz is very slow indeed. My 3 year old cell phone runs at 800mhz and has accelerated 3d graphics. My amiga from 2003 has an 800mhz PPC. My HP touchpad is a 1.2ghz dual core.

Note also that Oricutron is written entirely in C, so that it can be ported to all kinds of platforms (including mobile devices), while Euphoric has hand optimised assembler for the core emulation.
Brana
Flying Officer

Post by Brana »

Ok, so if I understood you correctly - I should wait, and in time - Oricutron will become usable on certain amount of mobile devices...?

Well that's OK by me (as I currently haven't got any mobile device capable of running this kind of software) and while I wait - the prices of those devices will (assumingly) become cheaper...

But while we wait - I wonder was there any other attempt by some Oric lover around the world to port EUPHORIC on ANY mobile device?

I would really love to know if such case ever existed. :)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I really doubt that, Brana. The only way I see you can run Euphoric is via DOS emulation of some kind.

There are versions for Linux (svgalib), X and even for Cassiopeias. Check:
http://oric.free.fr/emulator.html

Also you can check if your mobile can run any port of MESS and use the Oric driver.

That is all I can think of, really; so I guess you are stuck until you can run Oricutron.
Brana
Flying Officer

Post by Brana »

Well, have you looked at the link in my firs post in this subject?
http://www.intomobile.com/2009/03/05/wi ... nokia-n95/
That guy runs whole Win95 on rather old Nokia (!)
And he is using DosBox for it...

I am thinking of doing the same but for EUPHORIC.
Only I don't need the Windows itself, just DosBox on the phone to emulate DOS for EUPHORIC.
And in that emulated DOS I can put the Euphoric into DOS's Autoexec.bat file.

So the idea is to launch DosBox (on the phone!) to emulate DOS with Euphoric in the Autoexec.BAT file...

By the way - I am using Euphoric under DosBox on Win7 with NOOOOO PROBLEMS of what so ever on my friend's computer(s), so quite frankly - I can't understand this enthusiasm in developing any other new Oric Emulator!? :)

Anyway, I'll try to get perhaps the same Nokia as the one in the link to try it out...

P.S. I wonder how high Oric CPU could be accomplished on that Nokia...?
If You remember my previous post regarding Euphoric on a Macintosh computer - the DosBox actually worked out, and Euphoric could run quite nicely for up to 3 or 3.5 Mhz Oric (emulated) CPU power. And it was an old Mac indeed!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Brana wrote:By the way - I am using Euphoric under DosBox on Win7 with NOOOOO PROBLEMS of what so ever on my friend's computer(s), so quite frankly - I can't understand this enthusiasm in developing any other new Oric Emulator!? :)
I can see a number of advantages:
- simpler to install and configure (Euphoric on top of DosBox is not the simplest setup you can think of)
- can work on systems where DosBox does not exist (ex: There is an Amiga version of Oricutron)
- even if Oricutron is slower than Euphoric, it's definitely faster on my machine than Euphoric running under DosBox
- there are features that exist in Oricutron that Euphoric does not have (ex: the possibility to record movies and upload to youtube directly)
- the source code is 100% available and portable, so features can be added by anyone
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

I tried it with dosbox, Euphoric with a Samsung ACE mobile
With two levels of emulation there is no surprise it's very slow :(
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Dbug wrote: I can see a number of advantages:
- simpler to install and configure (Euphoric on top of DosBox is not the simplest setup you can think of)
- can work on systems where DosBox does not exist (ex: There is an Amiga version of Oricutron)
- even if Oricutron is slower than Euphoric, it's definitely faster on my machine than Euphoric running under DosBox
- there are features that exist in Oricutron that Euphoric does not have (ex: the possibility to record movies and upload to youtube directly)
- the source code is 100% available and portable, so features can be added by anyone
- It can take advantage of new technologies. For example, the OpenGL renderer offers correct aspect correction with linear interpolation, PAL ghosting and scanlines almost for free because the graphics card does all the work.
- Oricutron is more actively developed than Euphoric
- It has a better debugger
- Sound and VIA interrupts are more accurate in Oricutron