How to install Euphoric on Macintosh computer?

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
Brana
Flying Officer

How to install Euphoric on Macintosh computer?

Post by Brana »

Hello.

A friend of mine got Macintosh computer (400Mhz CPU, 10GB Hard drive).

He would really like to try-out the Euphoric emulator, and I already found the Mac version of it at the url:

http://oric.free.fr/emulator.html

but after we download the "oric-15_sit.hqx" we simply don't know what to do with that file next???

I suppose it's a some kind of archive, but I don't know what to use to decompress nor to install it?

When I just double-click on it (on Macintosh) Mac-OS asks me what program to use in order to open it (and it suggests two programs from the drop-down list, but none of them had no luck with getting this file to work).

This Macintosh has Mac-OS on German language, and that is quite a problem for me because I simply don't know German language (not at all!) and for that I decided to ask for any instructions regarding the unpacking (or installing) Mac Euphoric emulator on this forum...

Thanks in advance!
Brana
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Hi Brana,

Cannot help with the Mac version of Euphoric (did not know that there was one!), but hqx files are quite common in the Mac environments (or at least they were). They are Stufflt files:

http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/hqx

Good luck!
Brana
Flying Officer

Post by Brana »

Thank You for your suggestion.
I managed to find a free version of Stuffit Expander program from Softpedia so I successfully decompressed this file.
Now I have the following files in a single folder:

Aigledor,
Hyper
Megademo
OricDos
Oric/mac os
Register
Software by rfb

But on what ever file I click - now I get the following message (translated from german to english by Google translator)

You do not have Mac OS 9 version that supports Classic. Install Mac OS 9.1 or later (Classic Support).

I am running Mac OS X version 10.4.7

Does this mean that this version of Euphoric can NOT run on this version of Mac?

Or is there anything else I should find and install on this Mac, to gain this classical support?

Does anyone have an idea what could I do in order to run Euphoric on this version of Mac?

Sorry for the trouble, but I am totally new in the Mac world.

Hope someone can help.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Ugh, I completely forgot about the change in Macs :)

There is no chance that you can run an old (Classic) application natively on a new Mac. The former is for 68K family microprocessors (albeit the old ROM), while the new Macs are intel.

Surely you can do that via emulation. Google search for "running classic apps on os x" and you will find many sites with instructions.

However I guess it would be much much easier to use a virtual machine on your Mac and run DOS and old Euphoric. For example DosBox :)

http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1
Brana
Flying Officer

Post by Brana »

Hello again.
I have tried out the suggested DosBox.
It works, but when I launch the Euphoric, it emulates the Atmos computer incredibly slowly! :
Example: if I click the F1, then the Euphoric help screen will appear. (it will take about a minute to show-up). Then I press the F1 key again to return to the emulated Atmos. It will take about one and a half minute to show-up the Atmos screen. :(

Do you think that I could have a better luck with some other utility (other than the DosBox?)

Sorry for this amount of trouble! :(
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

It is really strange that DosBox rusn so slowly. It works very well even with my old laptop. Is it only Euphoric, or also DOS and other applications run so slowly? I know that I cannot put the Atmos clock speed beyond x2 (I think), or there is trouble, but works perfectly at "real" 1Mhz speed.

Certainly it will run much better with things like VirtualPC (There was a mac version, but I am not sure if it still exists) or vmware. And I know there are other options for the Mac, but I don't remember their names.

Search google about running DOS or Windows programs on a Mac and you will find virtual environments that do not rely on software as DosBox does, so they must run much quicker.

Hope this helps.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Better option would be to just run Oricutron ..
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Chema wrote:It is really strange that DosBox rusn so slowly. It works very well even with my old laptop. Is it only Euphoric, or also DOS and other applications run so slowly? I know that I cannot put the Atmos clock speed beyond x2 (I think), or there is trouble, but works perfectly at "real" 1Mhz speed.
What kind of processor had your laptop?

A 400mhz mac is VERY slow, and specially apparently it's a G4 processor, so it's a powerpc, and powerpc are big endian processor, which means that DOSBOX has to swap every non byte memory access.
kamelito
Flying Officer

Post by kamelito »

Hi,

You can try Oricutron, the version I build is universal if it doesn't work you also can try this Euphoric port.

http://code.google.com/p/oriculator/

http://www.bannister.org/software/oric.htm

Kamel
/kml
skype pseudo : kamelitoloveless
Brana
Flying Officer

Post by Brana »

Hello.

Just to let You all know
we did tried Oric v1.7.8 at the link:

http://www.bannister.org/software/oric.htm

that you suggested.

Well, it can be executed on this Mac!
It even has the screen output which size can be adjusted (stretched) over the Mac's desktop as user desire!
Really nice! :)

But when I typed

Cload "RUN.TAP" (RUN was the name of the TAP image that I placed in the current directory)
it showed the "Searching.." above the screen, AND WHOLE COMPUTER (MAC ITSELF!) STOPPED RESPONDING!?!
(Notice: I could not even move the mouse on the Mac)

So I just plugged power cord off the Mac, and suggested him to buy a PC computer!

I rest in peace my idea for running Euphoric on Mac! :((

Sorry, and thanks again for your suggestions.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

What about contacting mr Bannister?
Brana
Flying Officer

Post by Brana »

No, It's not Euphoric!

What I want to say is - I don't know is that program really "bug-free"?

What If it simply does not handle CLOAD command, like Oricutron does not handle CSAVE?!

I simply don't want to waste any more time with it! :(

It chrashed on CLOAD and I'm not interested in it anymore!

Sorry! :(
Brana
Flying Officer

Re: How to install Euphoric on Macintosh computer?

Post by Brana »

I forgot to mention last summer - actually with DosBox Euphoric emulator worked quite nicely for up to 3 Mhz of Oric CPU power!

The reason why it ran slowly in the beginning was my edited euphoric.ini file!
That is to say - my Atmos "default" CPU speed in euphoric.ini file is always set to 6.5Mhz and that settings caused slow execution of Euphoric on this Macintosh...

But when I remembered to reduce my "preffered default CPU speed" settings for Atmos in Euphoric.ini to lower settings, say at 3Mhz - then it worked OK!

Sorry for It took me a couple of days to figure out such a obvious solution and after that I forgot to update the info regarding it on the forum! :/