How do I save/load my files in Oricutron?

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
Antiriad2097
Flying Officer

How do I save/load my files in Oricutron?

Post by Antiriad2097 »

I'm trying to prototype something in Oric basic.

I had some interesting (well, to me) things worked out, but couldn't figure out how to save that for a reload.

Csave just generated a junk .txt file.

I can't see any mention of a snapshot option in the menus or readme.

How's it done?
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Currently, the only way to save your work is onto a disk image. This needs urgent improvement, really, but my priority until now was to get existing software working well.
Antiriad2097
Flying Officer

Post by Antiriad2097 »

Would someone care to explain that process as I've no experience of Oric disc use?

How do I create a new 'blank' disc for Oricutron?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

As a side note, you may also want to consider creating your BASIC program on your pc, using a nice comfortable text editor, and then use BASTOTAP to generate an Oric tape file that you can then load on the virtual Oric.
Antiriad2097
Flying Officer

Post by Antiriad2097 »

Thanks for that tip. Just tried out Bas2Tap and its very simple to use, much better than previous tape conversion tools I've used for other systems.

With that in mind, its probably the best option for Basic editing as it offers more functionality than the standard Oric editor.

I've got Notepad++ installed for general tinkering with text files, need to see if there are any add ons for it (like Basic renumbering ).

If I can get things worked out in Basic, I might have a stab at reworking it into assembly.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

There are versions of Bas2Tap with added features like "colored comments" and (more useful) "labels" instead of line numbers.

Think that last one was written by Wascol :)